Situational question in search of my possibilities

JJC

To start, I want to start off with my situation and am asking for what I could possibly do if I wish to seek change.

At a young age, my dentist-at-the-time removed two permanent teeth from the upper jaw in prepparation for braces. I had crooked teeth and a crossbite that was fixed by braces and the rubber bands during the treatment, but, over time, my lower jaw started coming forward and now have an underbite. Along with my underbite, my teeth are offset by almost 3/4 of a tooth (measured assuming my upper teeth are in proper allignment, which appears so.) My lower left-side bicuspid is also leaning into my mouth at about 30 degrees (by eyeing).
IMG_20141221_061908567[1].jpg IMG_20141221_061819095[1].jpg

If I forcefully try to force my jaw back, I am able to get one of my teeth get one set of my incisors to touch with no other teeth having contact. I feel as if it impairs my speech because I occassionally slur my words and have to take a breather to restate my sentences because they were incomprehensive. My tongue, at rest, sort of "tucks" under the upper teeth since I have an underbite. Besides that, my teeth serve as a giant personal insecurity as I cannot expose my upper teeth in a smile.

All-in-all, I've tried to grasp what my possibilities are. I came up with two different possibilities in which I will back up with my personal reasoning as I'm not a professional. Do keep in mind that I am a college student (for age reference). Any/all of the following would be done by a professional.
1. Develop a gap in my teeth where the two permanent teeth were removed and have an implant placed to make my upper jaw bigger.
2. Remove both lower second bicusids (as one of them are leaning in) and make my lower jaw smaller. However, I feel like this wouldn't exactly fix my speech.
3. Somehow fixing everything with just another set of braces.

I AM working a part-time along with being a full-time student in hopes that I'll save enough to afford a treatment of some sort. I've accepted that this is how I look and anything I do will cost a lot of money, but I'd like to know my options.

Get an orthodontic assessment. Your remedy can range anywhere from another round of braces to surgery for correction of your reverse overjet.

Vote:

Ask a Question