should this filling be replaced?

Though I'll be seeing my regular dentist in a few weeks for a routine checkup, any input received here will help me to get the most out of that meeting.

I have a white filling on #24, done by my previous dentist. The tooth had chipped on the back side, though the filling may also be visible from the top.

It may be relevant that a fair proportion of fillings done by the previous dentist had failed early on, though this was not the case with the filling on #24, which has been there 2 - 3 years.

Anyway, I have started to feel sensations in the tooth--not always, but much of the time. This has been going on for at least a month. Nothing painful so far, but I wonder if perhaps the filling should be replaced.

Found a good article which indicates how hard it can be to tell when fillings need to be replaced: http://www.dentistrytoday.com/diagnosis/979. I could be missing something, but don't notice any obvious discoloration in the tooth or cracks in the enamel (two criteria mentioned in the article).

I imagine my current dentist will take x-rays and look carefully at the tooth.
But I wonder:

1. In the absence of x-ray evidence or visible signs, would it make sense to replace the filling now just based on the sensations I feel?
2. Is there much risk of damage to the tooth if the filling is replaced?
3. If I do nothing now, and the sensations turn into pain, then what would my options be at that time?
4. Any other thoughts?

Thanks very much for any input!

Ask a Question