Should I Go To The ER?

I had a route canal done on tooth 19 a few years ago. Last Monday I woke up and the tooth was a little sore. Wednesday I woke up and my gum was swollen, not golf ball size but noticeable. I call and get and get an apt with a dentist on Thursday (I'm new to NJ, I just moved here.) The dentist takes an ex-ray and comes back and says it's infected and has to be redone. He writes me a script for 500mg of amoxicillin (take 1 3 times a day). It's Saturday night and the swelling has gone down considerably, but not completely. Let me just make clear that I am in NO PAIN AT ALL. Earlier today I notice the left side of my face, the side with the tooth was becoming sensitive to touch, not painful, just sensitive to me touching it with my hand. As the night has gone on, it feels like my face is hot, but I wouldn't say I feel feverish. I don't have a thermometer to take my temp.

I'm contemplating going to the ER, because, well, I don't want to die, but I just started a new job and won't have benefits for 60 days.

Thoughts?

2015-03-02%2012.28.10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Vote:

Ian

Administrator
Hi Mike, sorry for the delay in your picture appearing - the photo triggered the spam software to hide the post. I've unblocked it now :).

Vote:

drmins

Verified Dentist
Had seen the x-ray. Was waiting for the pic of infected site. I guess you forgot uploading it as you have already got it corrected by your dentist.
Though its very hard to diagnose from the x-ray image alone, i assume that you are having a localised periodontitis for the molar. You will need a dose of antibiotics.

(Next time when you upload a x-ray pic,pls ensure that its doesn't get blurred. The apex of the root are not very clear in this pic and can mislead the diagnosis.)

Vote:
Had seen the x-ray. Was waiting for the pic of infected site. I guess you forgot uploading it as you have already got it corrected by your dentist.
Though its very hard to diagnose from the x-ray image alone, i assume that you are having a localised periodontitis for the molar. You will need a dose of antibiotics.

(Next time when you upload a x-ray pic,pls ensure that its doesn't get blurred. The apex of the root are not very clear in this pic and can mislead the diagnosis.)

Thank you. My dental insurance doesn't kick in until April 1st. I ran out of antibiotics about 1 week ago. The gum is swollen but you can't tell by looking at my face and I am in no real pain yet, but I am worried because all you ever hear is how you can die from a tooth infection. Is it safe to wait 13 more days or should I go now and pay cash that I can't really afford to pay...

Thanks

Vote:

drmins

Verified Dentist
hi mike,
sorry for insisting on the pic of your gums.its needed for a better diagnosis.
from the radiograph you have uploaded,i can assure you that there is nothing much to be worried as life threatening.

Is there any food lodgement between your molar tooth and premolar tooth? Is it on this site,that you have the gum swollen?
If so, you may use a floss to clean the food debri and use warm saline gargle for the time being and then have your dental visit as scheduled.

thank you

Vote:

Ask a Question