Should healthy wisdom teeth be removed if not causing problems?

I am 35 years old and have had all 4 wisdom teeth since I was 17. They came in just fine with no issues. I have some minor crowding, but I'm still able to keep my teeth clean and my teeth and gums are healthy. I did not get my first cavity until age 30, and it is so small, my new dentist can not even see it on the x Ray or tell where it is. I also have a "watch" on another molar.

Over the years, I have been to 3 or 4 dentists and none of them have said anything about needing to remove my wisdom teeth, but my new dentist is recommending that I have them removed. He says since they are harder to clean, they can cause problems as I get older and he basically believes that ALL people should have wisdom teeth removed, regardless of whether they are causing problems. He thinks I should have them out now, because the older I get, the worse the surgery recovery will be.

I'm wondering what other professionals think. Should I have them removed now (even though I'm not having any problems) just in case I encounter problems as I age? What could happen if I DONT remove them? I'm wondering if anyone over 30 has had fully erupted wisdom teeth removed? Will the surgery be worse since the roots are fully formed?

Thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts/opinions/personal experiences!

Hmm... I don't think there is a need for extraction as you said it does'nt bother you and you're able to keep it clean. If the wisdom tooth is not causing any pain whatsoever, and is not causing any discomfort such as causing you to bite your cheek, then there is no need for extraction. Maybe it is your dentists personal decission or maybe he has reason so don't b afraid to ask him.

Vote:

Ask a Question