Root canal taking foreeeeeeever

Hello and thank you for reading in advance :)
So, I'd like to start by saying I'm 19 and I'm not afraid of the dentist as long as it's for normal procedures (i.e. Filling). But RCTs freak me out. I have panic attacks, severe anxiety, and severe breathing difficulties. Here's a little story.

Around last November I had a Root Canal. After being in antibiotics for a while, I got there and she injected me right on the nerve. It was kinda painful to the point I told her I didn't want to continue treatment, but then she grabbed some other tool and said something like "Are you feeling this? I am touching you in the nerve right now". So I was convinced and let her proceed. We stood there around 1 hour and something, she used these long metal things, closed the tooth, and sent me home. I remember she also said "Worst part is done, next time you won't even need to be numbed up".

Next time was horrible. Because I trusted her, I went in thinking it would be a simple procedure, since I wouldn't even need to be numbed up. But I was wrong. She numbed me up using around 3 or 4 different needles, including an injection on the inside of the cheek. Then she opened the tooth and started using those metal things again. But this time I felt enduring pain and refused to let her continue treatment. She offered no resistance this time, closed the tooth up, and scheduled me for the 21th - next week (this was 2 months ago, by the middle of March). She said the pain was due to my anxiety and Valium should help me deal with it now.

But I'm dead scared at the thought of metal things going into my tooth. It makes me shiver.
Besides, what the hell is going on? I thought I wouldn't even need to be numbed up!!! What's happening?! I went there another day and talked to her assistant, she told me "Oh yea the worst part is already done, you shouldn't even feel any pain at all now". Today I went there and talked to another assistant, who said "Nah you didn't let us go until the end with the metal thingies, so we're going to have to use them again".
WHAT? That first time I stood there for 2 hours, completely numbed up, offering no resistance whatsoever, and you couldn't make it to the end? You even had one of those *beep* *beep* *beep* machines. So either she has no clue what she's talking about, or I'm being tricked.

Anyways can anyone explain what's going on? Why are they using the metal things again if they already cleaned the nerve that first time? I thought that all that is left is simply build the crown, so why aren't they doing that? Is it going to be painful again (not counting the slight pain/discomfort of the Novocaine)? Do you think you can blame my anxiety for this or is there something else going on that makes me feel pain?

Last edited:
Hi.

I'm not a doctor. I've had 4 root canal treatments done on 4 different teeth over the years. The appointments typically take 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

I don't know what's going on with the numbing, but you should not be feeling pain after getting novocaine shots. I'm not sure if you've already finished your treatment, but I'd see another doctor. This lady doesn't sound right to me.

If you do have a root canal in two appointments they will have to use the files (metal things) both times. The files help to get the root and bacteria out of the tooth. They have to make sure it's completely cleaned out and disinfected. Otherwise the tooth can be re-infected.

It might be taking longer due to an infection. Also different teeth have different numbers of roots. The molars have the most roots, typically four. It can also take longer if your roots are curved or complicated in some other way.

I'm sorry you went through all that and hope that you've completed treatment. I wouldn't trust that doctor again if I were you. Next time schedule with an endodontist who specializes in root canal treatments.

JJ

Vote:

Ask a Question