Questions about Dental crown

I have dental crown for my front tooth, some days I don't notice it much, but some days it feels very uncomfortable. For example, when I have a cold , sinus, or feeling sick, I notice the crown much more and it just feel like an foreign object and very uncomfortable, even though I'm feeling no pain. Is this normal? could i be alergic to this crown (or the cement or the metal post) or something?

I'm thinking of redoing the crown, can I go with all pocelain crown for the upper front tooth? is that strong enough, or is a metal post required? Is same day CEREC machine good enough for front tooth? I was reading somewhere they may not match the color well.

I also feel a lot of saliva in my mouth, could my crown be causing this?

Finally, what's a good place to look for a good dentist for crown?

Michaels01,

Some sensitivity is normal after getting a crown. Chances are the crown is replacing a lot of tooth structure, and that can make the tooth sensitive, especially to hot and cold.

Dentistry uses very innate materials. Meaning they are safe to be used in the body. Allergies do occur, but are extremely rare and are most likely not the cause of your sensitivity.

As far as redoing the crown, all porcelain is a very good option for front teeth. However, if you needed a post before you will still need one with the new crown. The post is to help the crown stay in place, without it the crown would likely fall off.

Same day crowns can color match very well IF the dentist is doing some custom shading. Usually dentists don't do custom shading in their office so the same day crown might not be an option.

Saliva in your mouth is probably from you thinking about it. If you are having sensitivity then you are probably much more aware of your mouth and with that comes saliva. I explain it like this: I never notice myself blinking, but as soon as I start thinking about it I start blinking every few seconds. It's not that I'm blinking more, I am just more aware.

I would use google to find a dentist close to you. Dentists are highly trained in crowns, so there will not be a whole lot of difference in care. Pick one who treats you well and you feel comfortable with. Make sure they know your having sensitivity and would like custom shading. Hope this helps,

Dr. Garrett Fiorenza
Fiorenza Dental Group
www.fiorenzadentalgroup.com
Greenwood, IN

Vote:
I just had a crown redone, I noticed my crown on my front tooth sits above the gum line from the inside, from the outside it's ok.. so basically from the inside the crown is a bit above the natural tooth structure - I have very few natural tooth left, which sits near the gum line. From the outside I see crown, then gumline.. from the inside it goes crown, natural tooth, then gumline... is this normal?? Should I get this crown redone?

Also I found I'm very sensitive to this crown when I'm tired or sick, is that normal? If I'm healthy, I don't notice the crown as much, but if I'm sick or tired, I sometimes find the crown very uncomfortable? I will be sensitive to one spot where it's not smooth and also the roughness where it connects to the natural tooth. this only happens to this crown on my front top tooth, I also have a crown on my lower front tooth, I don't notice it much at all. what could be causing this? could I have a nerve near the crown or something that gets irritated??

Vote:

Ask a Question