Question About Crowns

Hi all.

I need to get 4 crowns on my teeth fairly soon. The problem is that I recently lost my job and my insurance.

My dentist wants me to get same day porcelain crowns and I think they run about $1,400 each crown. I'm mostly concerned about one of the teeth right now and would like to have the crown done on it ASAP.

All the teeth are molars that have had root canals. This molar in particular is my oldest root canal and the tooth got chipped recently. I don't want to damage the tooth any further, but I don't have the money to pay for a crown right now.

Are there any options of less expensive crowns? It's hard to find good information online.

Thanks.

JJ

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
$1,400 is a lot for a crown anywhere in the country, even Manhattan or San Francisco, so I'm sure you can find a reputable dentist to do it for less. I am not a fan of "same day" crowns for many reasons. Most people find that "porcelain fused to metal (PFM)" crowns are excellent all-around and they are typically around $1k or less. The cheapest alternative to any higher end crown is a "stainless steel" crown which should be about half that. But I would avoid them unless you had no choice.

Vote:
Hi all.

Just a quick update.

A couple of weeks ago I got a temporary crown for my fractured tooth. It's a ceramic crown and cost around $800. Still a lot of money, but much more affordable. I got to get my permanent crown in 2 weeks.

Thanks again.

JJ

Vote:
$1,400 is a lot for a crown anywhere in the country, even Manhattan or San Francisco, so I'm sure you can find a reputable dentist to do it for less. I am not a fan of "same day" crowns for many reasons. Most people find that "porcelain fused to metal (PFM)" crowns are excellent all-around and they are typically around $1k or less. The cheapest alternative to any higher end crown is a "stainless steel" crown which should be about half that. But I would avoid them unless you had no choice.

Wow in FL, I was quoted $1800.00 for a all porcelain zirconium crown. So that is definitely over priced.

Vote:
Hello,

I just posted a question about replacing a bridge and mentioned that I am in the process of a dental implant. My crown is also $1800. That doesn't include the temp crown (I believe was $400), which I have right now. Good luck to you.

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
There is a big difference between a regular tooth crown and a crown for an implant. $1,800 for an implant crown is reasonable but that is a ridiculous fee for a regular tooth crown.

Vote:

Ask a Question