Prefab post and core - how long can I wait before having crowns placed?

In late April, I had root canals done and prefabricated posts and cores placed in teeth 22,28 and 29. Unfortunately, this work maxed out my insurance. Having the crowns done without insurance will cost me an additional $2500 ($4000 vs $1500). What risks do I take in waiting until my insurance reloads in 2016 to have the restorations completed? Thanks.

Hi.

The longer you wait to get the crowns, the higher the likelihood of the teeth chipping or fracturing. I'm not sure how long this would take. It may depend on how big of a cavity the root canal treatment corrected. I had a tooth with a root canal fracture because I was unable to get a crown right away. The root canal treatment was 2 years old at the time.

If you have to wait just be careful with it. Don't chew hard or sticky things.

If the tooth starts hurting it could be from a chip or fracture. Mine chipped and then fractured, but a crown was still able to save it.

Just get the crowns as soon as you can afford them.

Good luck.

JJ

Vote:

Ask a Question