Possible implant failure?

My question is this: Three weeks after surgery to put an implant into the spot where tooth 4 was... any pressure at all to the implant, even just when I swallow, causes pain... and the implant is actually moving around. This shouldn't be happening, should it? It is my understanding that the implant should be secure to the jawbone with absolutely no movement... am I right or not?

Here is the background info and important info about me as a patient - my childhood dentist is in prison for abusing his patients thus, I have a very intense, paralyzing fear of even simply walking into a dental office. I went 11 years without seeing a dentist because of my fear.

That said, I found the miracle of sedation dental about 6 years ago. I had a great dentist but because of insurance had to switch to a dentist that did not do sedation, but did provide oral medication for a twilight experience during dental surgery. On a recent visit, I was diagnosed with an erupted crown and he advised I needed to have that removed and an implant put in. He also advised that he now does sedation dental and we could do the surgery that way.

So we did, and it was a terrible, horrible experience... easily the worst dental experience of my adult life. It took him 9 attempts with the IV to get a vein that he didn't blow... 9!! The vein he finally got was in my FOOT of all places. Anyways, I warned him I take more anesthesia than the average patient, but he didn't listen and I woke up repeatedly during the surgery and remember most everything that I had chosen sedation dental to avoid remembering.

8 days after surgery, I was still having terrible pain so he wanted to see me again. I went in, exam, xray, said it looked fine, gave me steroids, more antibiotics and some pain meds with a "warning" that he wouldn't refill the pain meds and if this still hurt in a week that he would be forced to take it out. I felt belittled... as if I was a drug seeker!

Unfortunately, since this surgery, my insurance changed again and my new insurance does NOT cover implants, so I can't go to a new dentist to have this taken care of as I don't have the $1,800 out of pocket that my old insurance paid for this botch job.

I have an appointment with him tomorrow so I can prove to him that this this is moving and that something needs to be done... am I right or does this need more time?

if the implant is moving then it is definitely needs to come out. just hope the moving part is the healing abutment though and that can be tighten up

Vote:

Ask a Question