Possible decay under old fillings??

Hello! I'm new to the forum, and, I was wondering if it's ok to ask a question here? I saw a new dentist today. I had to switch dentists because of my insurance. My last dental exam before today was in October and everything looked great! Today, this new dentist told me he basically wants to redo my entire mouth! He wants to take out all of my old silver fillings because he said they have decay under them, and he also wants to replace them with crowns, because they are so large. We're talking 8 crowns! I can't afford this! Even if I could, it's stressing me out and making me so anxious just thinking of doing this. I'm not letting him touch me without a 2nd opinion, but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced something like this. Also, I have no pain! Wouldn't I have pain if I had such rampant decay like he suggests that I have?? I mentioned to him I was fine 6 months ago and did this happen in 6 months time? He said it's all a matter of perception, some doctors or dentists will have a wait and see attitude where he is more preemptive strike kind of philosophy. My philosophy has always been if it doesn't hurt, leave me alone. Thoughts anyone?? Thanks!

A second opinion is always a good idea. Some dentists are more conservative than others when it comes to treatment. Not experiencing pain is not an indication that no decay is present though. I would definitely recommend a second opinion since this is worrying you. Perhaps your old dentist will be willing to give you his opinion free or at a minimal cost. If you do get a second opinion, be sure to get copies of any new x-rays taken so you're charged again for them.

Ask a Question