porcelain veneers settling time

hi , about 13 years ago i had porcelain veneers fitted to my front two teeth to close the gap, i gave it many months for the feeling to settle in my mouth, but it always fely like i had horsees teeth, and the sensation of something being stuck on my two front teeth would just not go away, i wanted the feeling to be normal like before i had the veneers but sadly it just wouldnt settle my gums would go dry, eventually after many months of allowing my teeth to settle i had enough and told the dentist to remove them, now this left me wth a problem , the gap in my teeth was still there and also the enamel had been removed from my front two teeth, which gave a rough feeling when i ran my toungue over them. Now leaving my teethexposed without sufficient enamel was not very good idea so the dentist fitted compositte veneers on each tooth as it was before with the gap still in my teeth, I wasnt happy as they where a different shade to the rest of my teeth, i did get back to normal teeth feeling when i had these compositte veneers fitted, and over the last 13 years have had them replaced several times with no efeect of having any odd feeling in my teeth, infact everything feeling normal. Now after 13 years i have had porcelain venners fitted again to my front two teeth, the result is brilliant, look very nice, has bought a smile back to my face and has given me confidence. These were fitted 3 weeks ago to this day, trouble is im not getting use to them, although the feeling is notas bad as when i had them first all them years ago, my mouth doesnt go try but it still feels like i have something stuck on my teeth, like grape skin when its stuck on your teeth, odd thing is sometimes the feeling completely goes away and there is only a slight sensation of having veeneers fitted, how long should i wait to see if this feeling goes away completely and my teeth and mouth feel normal, ive spoken to people who had lots of veneers fitted and they say they never had any discomfort apart from a very short time..i can live with this but that feeling is always there, starts off very less feeling in the morning when i wake up but as the senses in my mouth wake up the un comfortable stuck on feeling gradually strats to build up again...any ideas and advice?..cheers

Have you had your dentist recheck the veneers? It is not unusual for dental restorations to feel unusual at first, but most people get used to them very quickly. In a short amount of time they should feel like your normal teeth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vote:
You should go for a check-up and professional cleaning every six months or so, just as you normally would. If you follow dental guidelines and follow the precautions then your procelain veneers is natural and long term without any side effect.

Vote:
well its been 1 year 8months since my i had two veneers fitted on my front two teeth...i still have not got the normal mouth feeling..its still feels like some reaction is taking place on my front two teeth..it s so annoying , its the only thin that is on my mind all the time as soon asi wakre up in the morning , it feels normal for about a few minutes until my senses wake up. my dentist has checked them again and i had anothe dentist look at them and he says they are a good fit and look really nice. It has ruine dmy life so far , makes me miserably and angry and annoyed at evrybody. Too be honest the front right tooth seems to have normal feeling , this is the largerer of the tooth that has a veneer on it, i think the problem is with the one on the left, it is a much smaller tooth and has a laregr venneer fitted on it. Now since there is a step between my normal teeth and the fitted veneer , i think thats where the problem lies as i ve tols the dentist to level the step to make it feel normal , but she wont do that , always says its fine and somehow manages to persuade me that its all right..i hate this feeling and want my mouth to feel normal..what shall i do and sy to my dentist..ive told her i may be having a reaction to the cement , but she dismisses that,,,i clean my teeth with electric toothbrush, dental sticks, interdental brushes around the gum lining on my two front teeth, moutwash, i clean twic a day but still has no effect..

Vote:
well its been 1 year 8months since my i had two veneers fitted on my front two teeth...i still have not got the normal mouth feeling..its still feels like some reaction is taking place on my front two teeth..it s so annoying , its the only thin that is on my mind all the time as soon asi wakre up in the morning , it feels normal for about a few minutes until my senses wake up. my dentist has checked them again and i had anothe dentist look at them and he says they are a good fit and look really nice. It has ruine dmy life so far , makes me miserably and angry and annoyed at evrybody. Too be honest the front right tooth seems to have normal feeling , this is the largerer of the tooth that has a veneer on it, i think the problem is with the one on the left, it is a much smaller tooth and has a laregr venneer fitted on it. Now since there is a step between my normal teeth and the fitted veneer , i think thats where the problem lies as i ve tols the dentist to level the step to make it feel normal , but she wont do that , always says its fine and somehow manages to persuade me that its all right..i hate this feeling and want my mouth to feel normal..what shall i do and sy to my dentist..ive told her i may be having a reaction to the cement , but she dismisses that,,,i clean my teeth with electric toothbrush, dental sticks, interdental brushes around the gum lining on my two front teeth, moutwash, i clean twic a day but still has no effect..

Are veneers the only option? I've been researching and I'm not entirely sure how it all works but there's "bonding", tooth implants, and crowns and such. Are any of these viable options instead of veneers?

Also I'm glad you mentioned this problem because if I can ever afford it I was thinking on getting veneers. What do you think is the cause of the discomfort if you had to sum it up? I may rethink getting them and go for something else after hearing this but maybe there's other issues with different procedures...

Vote:
to be honest, i dont really know, neither do the dentist, it seems to get more irritated after i drink something , be it water, tea, any drink....some days, it is really annoying...because its there all the time. some days i get more irritation and some days less. The best way i can describe this feeling is like having some grape skin stuck to your teeth..sureley you must have had some grapes sometimes and the skin sticks to your teeth..My biggest regret is having veneers all them years ago, i only had a little gap beteween my front two teeth and thought it would make me have abteer smile, more confident and looking at people when i talk to them, but sadly its made my life a misery, first thing i think of everymorning is i hope that feeling has gone away, but never does. perhaps im allergic to the cement they use, perhaps some ingredient in the veener, perhaps to much enamel removed from my teeth...i have suggested these to my dentist but have simply been brushed aside.

Vote:

Ask a Question