Partially impacted wisdom teeth damaged teeth in front. What to do?

The wisdom teeth in my lower jaw are partially impacted and have both pushed into the teeth in front of them. When I consulted a dentist last week about them, she said I had two options:

1. Get the wisdom teeth pulled (she couldn't, I would need an oral surgeon), then see what needed to be done on the teeth in front of them. She said with how far the wisdom teeth went into those teeth and with how close to the gums that I would most likely need a root canal and some kind of crown with an extension (I think that's what she said, but not 100% positive). She didn't rule out the possibility of getting them filled, but said that I would probably need a root canal and the other work and that it would be very costly.

2. Since the wisdom teeth themselves are fine, pull the teeth in front of them that are damaged, then have work done to try to pull the wisdom teeth up to the other ones. Though she said this would be cheaper, until I could get the wisdom teeth pulled up to fill that gap, I would have a large gap in the back that would affect my chewing.

Although #1 is the more expensive choice, I am hoping that maybe they can just fill it or at least try to before doing a root canal. I really don't know what to do. I don't like #2 because I know that pulling the wisdom teeth forward will be a long process, and I don't know how well they would be able to get the wisdom teeth lined up with the other teeth if I were to choose option #2.

I know it's hard to give advice without seeing the actual x-rays, but I am really not sure what to do, and I don't have the money to get 2nd and 3rd opinions. I want to try to do the most affordable option, but I don't want to not be able to chew my food properly because of pulling the teeth that I need to eat with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question