Pain in root canal/crown tooth after adjacent filling.

ked

About 3 weeks ago I had a very small composite filling done on an upper back-right tooth (new dentist). It was next to a tooth that has had extensive work done - root canal, crown, surgery when the root canal became infected. After 2 weeks I was having extreme pain on that side when chewing food - but only on release (hard to medium food, not gum oddly). No pain on biting down normally.

I went back to the dentist and he performed a bite test with this... blue stick thing. I bit down several times and he'd move it to test another spot. One spot made me cry out in pain after lifting up off the stick, and he told me it was the tooth I had a root canal/crown on. I was puzzled at this point because I should have 0 feeling left in this tooth.

He recommended a mouth guard in case I was irritating the area by grinding my teeth or clenching. I've not had a history of grinding or anything but accepted his "prescription" (at no cost) and got fitted for a mouth guard.

I have not gone to pick it up yet, but I was hoping to find someone who has gone through this before or might have another diagnosis. I'm skeptical and have read other places that it might be a composite bonding issue? Can pain be "transferred" like that in pressure being applied from a nearby tooth? (If that makes sense). He said my crown looks fine, that he didn't know what was causing it. He kind of has an "I can do no wrong, it must be something else" attitude, but I can't possibly see how it's NOT the tooth I got a filling in when the pain started after the procedure and the tooth he claims is having pain has no nerve.

Help :(

there must a problem with the newly filled tooth....ask ur dentist to take a radiograph( x-ray) n he can figure out wat is the problem .....dont use motuhguard....it will eventuallu cause pain in ur jaw bone...

Vote:
About 3 weeks ago I had a very small composite filling done on an upper back-right tooth (new dentist). It was next to a tooth that has had extensive work done - root canal, crown, surgery when the root canal became infected. After 2 weeks I was having extreme pain on that side when chewing food - but only on release (hard to medium food, not gum oddly). No pain on biting down normally.

I went back to the dentist and he performed a bite test with this... blue stick thing. I bit down several times and he'd move it to test another spot. One spot made me cry out in pain after lifting up off the stick, and he told me it was the tooth I had a root canal/crown on. I was puzzled at this point because I should have 0 feeling left in this tooth.

He recommended a mouth guard in case I was irritating the area by grinding my teeth or clenching. I've not had a history of grinding or anything but accepted his "prescription" (at no cost) and got fitted for a mouth guard.

I have not gone to pick it up yet, but I was hoping to find someone who has gone through this before or might have another diagnosis. I'm skeptical and have read other places that it might be a composite bonding issue? Can pain be "transferred" like that in pressure being applied from a nearby tooth? (If that makes sense). He said my crown looks fine, that he didn't know what was causing it. He kind of has an "I can do no wrong, it must be something else" attitude, but I can't possibly see how it's NOT the tooth I got a filling in when the pain started after the procedure and the tooth he claims is having pain has no nerve.

Help :(

Hi
I think you better consult your dentist for that.
Regards
Fred

Vote:

Ask a Question