Oral cancer

Hi everyone,

Thank for you spending the time to read this. I lack any pictures, but this is also just a general question. I quit chewing tobacco after a 5 year affair with it. This was only four days ago, but every day is easier and easier. I decided to get a dental visit and start the road to recovery for my teeth.

Apparently my teeth are actually in great shape. For the dentists here, all my gums were measured at "3cm". I'm not sure what that means, but I'm sure you do. The actual question I have is -- how possible is it given my next few statements for me to have oral cancer ?

I was given the Vizilite oral exam where I swished the vinegar/raspberry tasting liquid through my mouth. The Dr. told me to come back in two weeks because two areas concern her. One specifically where I bite my cheek (my left) and the other on my left bottom side where I tossed the chew in. These two areas appeared under the Vizilite and I was wondering how often Dentists told patients to come back in two weeks ?

This is very common. The rule of thumb is if a reaction or area of concern stays for two weeks, it might be a little more serious. Most common things such as when you bite your tongue or cheek will go away in two weeks. Now, there are a lot of things that are not cancer that last more than two weeks, so no need to worry quite yet. But that is our benchmark to rule out anything that is just a little bite or something. Hope this helps,

Garrett Fiorenza, DDS
www.fiorenzadentalgroup.com
Greenwood, IN

Vote:

Ask a Question