New Implant or leave it.

A few years ago I had several implants which were necessary at the back of my mouth so that I could actually eat and chew proper food. I have never regretted having them and recently had them X rayed and the whole process has been a complete success. I recently had to have a natural tooth removed from the side of my mouth.
I can still eat OK and I don't really miss it but I thought aestheically it might be nice to close the gap but also because I thought it might be important from a dental point of view to have a continuation teeth as I dont want to lose my neighbouring natural teeth in the future.
The dentist said that I had lost some bone but he might be able to get away with putting any extra bone in. Now I don't like the sound of a dentist saying he can get away with this or that. To me the cost is of secondary consideration, I just want the treatment to be right. I have never really trusted dentists as all my problems have come through unnecessary work. Fortunately I do have the cash to spend but I would really like this to be the final time I ever have to visit one of these people.
What I need to know is the likelihood in ten or twenty years time if I look after my teeth will my existing neighbouring natural tooth by the gap be relatively safe and stable ?
Allowing for advances in dental science will I be able to have a bone graft if necessary in 10 years time if I lose bone and possibly want to have an implant in 10 years time?
I am in my sixties and got a happy relationship with my wife and she doesn't mind me having a tooth missing and I am not looking to go out on the pull, so the aesthetics doesn't bother me. The only thing that concerns me is will I be able to have an implant at a later date if I change my mind?
If dentists themselves had to go through the implant process and face these dilemma's in their personal lives, they might have a less cavalier approach, I have been through it before and should only be done if really necessary but
I am beating myself up about this and really would appreciate some advice.

One person replied but then unposted, I don't know why, it seemed sensible advice. Anyway I am not going ahead as the rest of my mouth is healthy according to dentist.

Vote:
One person replied but then unposted, I don't know why, it seemed sensible advice. Anyway I am not going ahead as the rest of my mouth is healthy according to dentist.

The post was made by a spammer, and when they were banned all their posts were automatically removed. I have reinstated the post for you - apologies for any inconvenience :)

Vote:
I have never really trusted dentists as all my problems have come through unnecessary work.
Wise approach, same here, though I had trusted all professionals initially.

Teeth naturally move. Your molars should push forward to close the gap. My implant-placing doctor didn't tell me that till after the implant had been placed... I chose the implant over having a gap there the way he worded it... Had I known the molars would fill the gap I would have never gotten that implant. I lost a perfectly good molar due to complications associated with his implant as well.

Vote:
Of course, it would be better to have a new implant, since the nature of teeth is to remove all the gaps, so your teeth will move, and it can cause problems in future

Vote:
That's Goes For Me Too I Was About To Go To The Dentist To Check My Wisdom Too I Just Got Bad Teeth Like Untreated Cavities,Chipped Tooth And Erosion Due To The Lack Of Oral Hygiene My Dad Is Going To So Freaked Out I Am An Autistic Adult Who Lives With My Dad

Vote:

Ask a Question