Need Opinion On Dentist Visit Today

Hi All, So basically I went to the dentist for the first time in 5 years today. I knew I needed to go for some time, but on Sunday part of my back molar chipped off so I booked to go.
Upon arrival I had to complete medical history form; on it I clearly stated that I suffer from Sulfite allergy and I cant have dental block that contains sulfite preservative.

I went into the Doctors chair and he had a really brief look at the tooth in question and said "ok we'll get it filled, let me numb you up" So I stopped him there and said did you see about my allergy on the form? At which point he picked up the form that the receptionist had left on the side and ummmed and ahhed a bit and asked me the actual name of what I was allergic to. I said there was lots of different names for Sulfite preservative and that I didnt know them all, but that they all had the word sulfite in them somewhere. He told me he would have to look into it.
Ok so I said, will I be getting a check up today, xrays etc...? "oh ok" he replied and proceeded to give my teeth a more thorough examination and xrays, plus he put some temp filling product on my tooth until I have actual treatment.

After that was done I popped out of the room while he had to price all the treatment up and I got called back after about 5 mins.

He then said I would need another lots of xrays next time I was there to check my root is ok for the molar that is chipped and he is planning on filling- if its not ok it may need root canal or extraction he also advised another few fillings needed to be done.

I have 3 main issues from my visit......

1.) Why was he ready to fill the tooth when I first sat down without even really looking at it... and then he is now saying that it may need root canal or extraction and another set of xrays next time, even though I only had xrays today that he looked at? Are there different xrays for teeth and roots?

2.) Advising I need a few fillings is fine, but I have a BIG cavity in my other back molar I can feel with my tongue- he didnt even pick up on it or advise it needs anything doing to it!?

3.) I'm very concerned that he didnt even bother to look at my medical form that clearly stated I had a sulfite allergy. And when I did point it out he seem totally baffled and stumped by it.

What are your thoughts guys, am I overracting that I am now nervous about going back? Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Ask a Question