My Teeth got molded but in pain.

I recently went for a check up at the dentist turns out one of my molars doesn't produce enough enamel so I had a "cavity".

I go back two weeks later to get a filling all that goes well no pain what so ever almost. Then I get my teeth molded because I need to get a mouthguard because I grind my teeth at night. She puts the plate in my mouth and pushes it inwards and the fucking pain I experienced. No pain what so ever when she did the bottom gums I guess.

After when I got home I realised this scraped a lot of skin of my gums and I have a little hole I believe on right side and its pretty painful.

Does this happen normally when you get your teeth molded? Cause the after pain is fucking hell.

Edit1: I forgot to mention the skin on my upper gums also got really scraped and feels extremely sensitive.

Great Lakes Dental

Verified Dentist
Hi Hinrik_Thor,

Unfortunately what you've experienced is fairly common. If you take your finger and place it near the biting surface of one of your teeth and then slide that finger up your tooth toward your gums, you'll likely notice a protruding ridge whereby your teeth meet your gums. This ridge is often wider then the metal tray used to take your impressions (aka: molds). In essence, what happened is when she pushed the tray onto your teeth, the metal tray was narrower than your gums, causing painful (albeit minor) scraping. I don't mean to dismiss the pain you experienced. It is very painful but the good news is that there will be no lasting impact and the scrapes should heal within 1-2 days.

Whether it's pain (like you experienced) or gagging from the material, patients have made it abundantly clear that they don't enjoy traditional impressions. As a result the industry has evolved and many dentists (including myself) are now offering technology that takes digital impressions. If you care to know more about this technology, I've posted a short demo video on my YouTube channel.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Dr. Jennifer Thomm
Cosmetic Dentist
Great Lakes Dental
Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Vote:
I just had impressions for a new bridge. The metal holder was a bit large so caused some discomfort (medical term for pain); it was too large for me. The tech had another more experienced tech come in to see if she could do any better. It turned out the first tech was trying to use a too large frame. The second tech much more experienced started using smaller and smaller frames until she found one of suitable size that was comfortable.

The dentist the OP was using must not have known there are various sizes of frames, at least that is my humble opinion.

Robert

Vote:

Ask a Question