My teeth are getting me down

Hi everyone. I'm posting here as I would like to see if someone could give me some advice. I have had a phobia of dentists since I can remember - probably since I was 18/19. I never went back. Ever. I don't know what did it for me but I just couldn't face going again. I remember even just flinching in the chair when the dentist came at me to scrape my teeth. The last time I just walked out and haven't been back since around 2000. Over the last 15 years my teeth had obviously decayed and started to rot. I eventually had some teeth out at the hospital under aneasthetic (put to sleep) and went to a dentist afterwards who gave me a temporary plate which even that scared me to death. It's got to a point now where I have only around 6 teeth on the top and 8 on the bottom and they are all bad. It's knocking my confidence and self esteem so much. I'm guessing the only option now would be to have the rest out and get dentures. I am going to telephone the dentist today nearer to where I live to see if I can register and see what he says. Basically the two bottom ones (the gums have worn down and it's showing bone). Could anyone give me a heads up of what I might have to endure? I am so scared. I know it's my own fault but I just kept putting it off all the time because I am petrified, but I know something needs to be done now. If anyone could let me know I would really appreciate it. Thank you :)

Mikey

If it's anything like what I've researched (I'm in similar shape), you can get knocked out, have them all pulled and some places will have you leave wearing dentures right away. You need to expect some pain, but you know how the anticipation of pain is worse than the pain itself. My problem...the doctor wants to extract all my teeth, like 28 of 'em, while I'm AWAKE. He gave me two lorazepam (useless sedative) and will use novocaine. I think he's insane but what do I know? Good luck....follow up on this because over the long term, the infections and plaque can damage your heart.

Vote:

Ask a Question