Maryland Bridge

I have a question about a Maryland bridge.
I lost a front tooth and i'm interested in replacing it with a Maryland bridge. My question is the tooth adjacent to the one that's missing has a crown. Can the wing of the Maryland bridge be attached to this crown ? or no it can't and if it can't please explain why not.

Thank you...Joe

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
The wing can rest on the crown but it cannot be bonded/glued to it. It simply rests on it much like you would rest your elbow on a table. This is not very good. My experience has been that Maryland bridges tend to fall off more often than is worth the trouble. Ideally you would do an implant for the missing tooth and the next best option is a 3-unit bridge holding the teeth adjacent to the space (even if that means replacing the crown that is already there). Doing a Maryland bridge is asking for long-term hassles.

Vote:
Perhaps my situatioñ was unusual, but I had a Maryland bridge that lasted for over 30 years. I now have a partial denture to fill in the gap. I was missing two top front teeth, and the bridge was anchored by the dentist grinding down two teeth, one on each side of the gap, and then cementing the bridge in place.

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
Bill, of course there are cases where it works, and works well. I do not know your specific situation. All I can tell you is that Maryland bridges have a higher than average failure rate when compared to conventional bridges or other solutions.

Vote:
Perhaps my situatioñ was unusual, but I had a Maryland bridge that lasted for over 30 years. I now have a partial denture to fill in the gap. I was missing two top front teeth, and the bridge was anchored by the dentist grinding down two teeth, one on each side of the gap, and then cementing the bridge in place.
Thanks Bill...

Vote:

Ask a Question