Le Fort 1 plate needs removing prior to implant?

Hi,
I have an infected molar tooth just below a jaw titanium plate which needs to be removed. I have been told my the surgeon that the plate will have to be removed for an implant to be put in place but another dentist told me that that the plates usually sit on the surface of the jaw so shouldn't impede on the implant. I am concerned about removing the plate due to unnecessary risk of complications (black eye, numbness, problonged headaches, swelling etc).

The surgeon has admitted he has never taken out any plates before which exarcebates my concern.

Could someone advise on whether this is necessary?

Also, I am having discharge from my right nostril (closest to the tooth) whenever the abscess flares up so not sure if this means the infection has perforated through to the nasal cavity which would require bone grafting? I am trying to determine if hospitalisation is necessary or if this can be resolved at a dentists with local anasthetics.

Thanks in advance

Ask a Question