is Periodontitis something recovered very easily???

Hello I don' t speak English very well. What I mean ''recover'' is that a disease is cured, but it returns sometimes later.

I once thought Periodontitis can be cured with either deep cleaning treatment or surgery (for more advanced periodontits) for ONE TIME and later on keep high quality hygiene and the disease should not return, until I read somebody on other forums / chat rooms saying that their periodontitis returns after deep cleaning for three months and their periodontists advise them to do the deep cleaning again.

In Hong Kong, deep cleaning is SUPER expensive, from USD 2500 to USD 5500 for full mouth deep cleaning. There is no insurance coverage.

I am so worried, is it really that easy for the disease to recover???? even daily oral care (brushing + interdental brush????

I can't afford every three months or every year for USD 5500 or USD 2500.

Could the disease return that easily???????????? I am so frustrated

drmins

Verified Dentist
dear kenny siu,
unlike root canal or a any other cosmetic treatment, periodontitis need regular check ups and maintenance or perio treatments on a long term.

not always you need a deep curettage or scaling,but you need to check with your dentist periodically, that your oral hygiene is well maintained and that your periodontal health is sound. if needed during these visits,he will advise you for a deep scaling or advise just a simple scaling.

Vote:
dear kenny siu,
Going by the advancements in the dental nowadys people with demanding careers or those who do not have hours and hours to spend in surgery are choosing over traditional gum disease surgery. So where a traditional gum disease surgery can take several one hour sessions with many visits to your dentist. On the other hand takes only two 2-hour sessions and a couple of follow up appointments. This means fewer days off for treatment and an immediate return to work in comfort. Regular dental and periodontal maintenance appointments will help prevent the need for future treatment of periodontal disease. Research has found that bacteria can accumulate to the point of causing bone loss within three months. :)

Vote:

Ask a Question