Is it normal to feel pain when chewing after a filling?

A

Anon_DA

Hi all, I am new here and I am just looking for some advice.

I should start by saying that as a kid, I never really had the best dental hygiene!

I had a filling as a child, and after a couple of years it was no longer sealed - so liquid started to get behind it etc. Obviously add that to poor dental hygiene at the time it became infected. (Out of curiosity can a filling that is no longer fully sealed give you an infection on its own? Or would it be linked with the poor dental hygiene only? Or both?

It became VERY painful so I went to see the dentist, I was told that the tooth would need to be removed surgically and could not just be pulled out. In the meantime he said he could not give me anything to release the pain due to the infection, but he would need to remove the filling. So with no pain relief, it was removed. Wow!! I have never been in so much pain!! A few weeks later the tooth was removed while i was put to sleep....

Since then I have always been very nervous of the dentist, particularly when they are poking around and the drill used...

I try to look after my teeth now, brushing 2 times daily, flossing etc.....

A couple of months ago I went for a routine checkup and was told I would need a filling. I went back, had the injection to numb the area and he started drilling away. Based on the time taken I think he went pretty deep removing pretty much all the center of my tooth, and I could feel it, it was kinda painful but not unbearable, is this normal with a deep filling even after injection? This brought back memories and I was very uneasy during the process.....

So it's been a couple of months since I had my filling on one of my back teeth, but every time I eat over it, anything hard, it hurts.... Like a sharp pain, but I can brush it, chew soft food etc and it is not a problem, but if I catch anything hard on it, it is a sharp pain but goes away instantly when I release my chew....if that makes sense?

So today, I drank orange juice and when the juice went over the tooth it stung....not had this before, could this indicate that the seal is broken? As I am writing this it feels fine, but should I go and see a dentist? Does any or all of this sound normal?

Like I said, the filling was deep, but not sure if this is normal now....

I have attached a picture, like I said, as a child I had poor dental hygiene and I am paying for that slightly now :( But I do try to look after them a lot more (24 years old now).....

I am so nervous about going to the dentist so do not want to do it when I don't need to... I always go for my checkups though every 6 months :)

Does the picture show any signs or worry for anyone in the know? The filling was done on the one in front of the very back tooth, you can see the different colour....

Advice, anything to put me at easy etc would be so much appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 20161023_234318.jpg
    20161023_234318.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 393

Ask a Question