Is extraction of 4 teeths necessary for having braces?

Im 19 years old and im having problem in puttin' on the braces.. My teeths are outta their place and position, not that bad like most people have but, still it is slightly moving outta its positions.. I have a supernumeral teeth too.. One consultant told me that braces for me is optional, but warned me that they would have to remove four teeths ( 2 from above and 2 from below ) from my mouth.. Another consultant from same clinic said that i need to wear braces compulsorily and i would have to get 4 teeths removed ( extracted ) .. two of my friends just put on the braces without removing 4 teeths ( their doctors still recommended to extract but my friends denied to do so ). the problem is, as my teeths are only bad to some extent, ( not worse ) i dont want 4 of my teeths to get removed.. but i still feel that moving my teeths back is good.. One of those two friends was in the same position as im now, his teeths were not worse, but kinda moving outta its place, so he just had to wear braces for 3 months ( his first doctor told him to remove 4 teeths, but his other doctor told him that it wont be necessary, so he put on the braces as such ) My second consultant now tells me that i have to wear it 1 1/2 years -_- and im doing my 2nd year in the college now..

Im in a state of total confusion now.. i wanna wear braces ( cuz it'll make me look good afterwards ) but i dont want my 4 teeths to get removed.. Whats the harm in not removing 4 teeths??.. Please do help me, thanks in advance!

P.S : - ( im facing other issues too, one of my two front teeths are white and other teeths are yellow in colour, im trying hard to brush, but still only ( one of ) my front teeth is white.. What shall i do for this? )

( Before consulting doctors, i heard that pushing your teeths voluntarily backwards would help it move back in its place.. i did it so hard for months ( both, with my fingers and, with placing my jaw over window wall and pushing my face against it ) Now it did that so hard that, a small part of one of my front tooth broke.. Now its look bad.. What shall i do for clipped teeth.. Do dentists level that out perfectly?

Hmmm you should ask you dentist, since you said they are telling you that before having braces they need to do teeth extraction, WHY is it? Is it damaged/chipped? If not then why they would do the extraction? You should make things clear before deciding since braces improves the alignment of the teeth.

Vote:
Get a second opinion and ask questions. For me when I got braces I had to have 1 tooth extracted from my bottom front because of overcrowding, basically the top and bottom wouldn't fit together if they left it in, so extraction is sometimes necessary. I'm confused why they would have to remove 4 teeth though, that seems excessive but definitely get a second opinion.

Vote:
I had 4 teeth extracted right after having braces placed 12 years ago bc of the crowding then had my wisdom teeth (only had 2 - both upper never developed the 2 lowers) extracted within less than a month after finishing treatment & had my braces removed well before any signs of them erupting bc of crowding. My Ortho didn't want any chance of them starting to shift down even though it'd be like 10 yes if at all of them erupting & mess up what I had braces to correct.

Now 12 years after my 1st set of braces I've gone to school & been working for about a year as an RDA. Very end of June I had a 2nd set of braces placed by my Ortho to fix some cosmetic things that I bc I work in dentistry noticed & attempt to adjust my jaw alignment to prevent surgery further down the road for TMJ & Bruxism. Recently switched to Ortho from general & YESS ITS NECESSARY. It's very common to have teeth removed that are completely healthy to allow space to fix crowding in several Ortho cases.

Without an X-ray I'm not sure where ur supernumary teeth lay in alignment to your roots from the teeth u have already erupted in your mouth. Pulling the super teeth into ur occlusion is necessary depending on how the 2 align. It's to prevent later down the road over the years from it shifting trying to erupt & knock out 3 teeth that you've taken care of to keep healthy. Go with the Ortho who wants extractions & shift supernumary teeth. Years down the road from now you'll be very thankful for that Doctor all that stuff even though u just wanted a little cosmetic fixes from braces now.

Vote:

Ask a Question