Infected wisdom tooth?

Hey!

So my wisdom tooth is kind of half through with some of the gum still over it, although the gum directly around my tooth is kind of loose for a want of a better word. I went to the dentist yesterday to have just a general checkup, I've thought my wisdom tooth may be infected for a few weeks now as I had a horrible taste in my mouth sometimes and it didn't feel quite right, so I mentioned it to my dentist yesterday and he took a look and said that he thinks I may have a slight infection and so long as it isn't causing me pain we'll leave it for now and see if it just grows out and he recommended that I should brush well and maybe after lunch too and use mouthwash to prevent any food and stuff getting in there.

But I woke up this morning and I could feel some pressure so I squeezed my gum and some hard kind out grey/brown pus came out and I also get liquidy pus come out from the gum all round my wisdom tooth. I'm sure my dentist knows what he is talking about but should I go back and ask for some antibiotics or should I just ride it out? I just don't want to create any problems or any lasting damage for myself!

Thanks guys, Tash :)

drmins

Verified Dentist
Your dentist was following a conservative approach in treatment and was trying to heal the inflamed flap of operculum (the loose kind of gum you were talking about).
Constant food lodgement and poor oral hygiene can cause this flap of gum to get infected and the tooth to get decayed. Only if recurrent infections occur or good amount of food lodgement is observed,excision of this flap is needed. Else,the conservative approach is sufficient.

Its recommended to use antibiotics and get a localised scaling done. Warm saline gargle is very effective in cases like these.

Keep smiling.:)

Vote:
If your dentist said leave it for now, i don't think that was a correct approach. Dental problem should not be left untreated and must be immediately take care of. Infected wisdom tooth might also cause sore throats. I would also suggest Warm saline gargle

Vote:
Thank you for both your replies. I woke up this morning and there was a lot more oozing coming from my wisdom tooth area and a bigger lump came out but I didn't have to squeeze it, its pretty gross when I think about it :(

I've been using mouthwash to gargle with after every brush but I'll start using a warm gargle after I've eaten too.

Thanks!

Vote:

Ask a Question