Implant complications...need advice

Hello,

I had to have a lower molar extracted last August, and my dentist sent me to be evaluated for a dental implant which I decided to do. I followed the exact timeline they gave me and wasn't able to get the screw placed until January of this year because they said the bone needed to fill in.

When the doctor who did the implant removed the metal button in May, he said that the top molar had extruded into the space where the crown should go and would need to be adjusted. I went straight to the dentist to be fitted for the crown. The dentist had to signicantly adjust the top molar to make room for the crown, so extensively that the area had to be numbed. The dentist assured me that this sensitivity would go away but after weeks of calling the office complaining of continued sensitivity in that top tooth, she said I would need a root canal. I didn't want a root canal, so she suggested a crown which I got last week.

I have since asked for my money back for the implant because of how the process was handled, and they're not understanding why. I pretty much lost a perfectly good tooth and feel that they should have warned me that the tooth might extrude, especially because I tend to grind my teeth at night. Several people I've talked to said I should have had a temporary tooth in the space where the implant went so the tooth didn't extrude over that 9 month period. Or could the issue of the top tooth extruding be handled differently than just shaving it down?

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm looking for guidance since I'm sure I will require additional dental work as a result, especially because crowns aren't lifelong.

Thank you.

Hello...

I am going to be frank and ask you: what makes you think that you deserve to get the money for the implant? The treatment was done and you have a replacement crown now. You can be upset about the rest of the issues that followed and the lack of information shared with you about the top tooth, but you shouldn't feel that you deserve to get any money back for the implant.

You could have had a temporary replacement on the bottom during the time the implant was healing, and that goes back to the initial conversation you had with the dentist.

Regards, AF05

Vote:
Dental implants are not lifelong. Looking around I see estimates from 10-30 years on average before failure.

"Or could the issue of the top tooth extruding be handled differently than just shaving it down?"
I'd say yes. The teeth extrude if nothing on the other side opposes it. Shaving it down would be immediate. A longer term approach would have not killed the molar (e.g. wear a mouth guard at night). That dentist should be liable for that molar, as you said for its expected life. Consider speaking to a lawyer in your state/country for a free consultation. Some jurastictions may award damages for unnecessary pain. Years ago I think I saw a case similar to yours after searching for 'implant malpractice'.

You're right a temporary tooth should have been used- one was in my case. I'd report this procedural failure to both the dentist's state medical licensing board (there should be a web form) and your insurance company.

You grind your teeth? That is a common medication side effect. If you take a medication daily (e.g. antidepressant) review its side effects to verify it is there and then treat the ailment differently to prevent your teeth from wearing down.

Vote:

Ask a Question