How could the dentist miss it?

I am at lost on what to think about this dentist, or even if I should tell him why I am not going back.
Here are the facts:
I have been going to him for the last 5 years. He was recommended by my previous dentist when we moved to this city 5 years ago. I do have a lot of tartar so I go 3 times a year for cleaning, even though my insurance covers only 2 cleanings.
I had a cracked tooth and I kept asking him to fix it and he said it was not necessary. He only fixed when the tooth finally broke. I needed a crown and I thought he was too rough removing the temporary crown he put on it. He hammered my jaw like there was no tomorrow and only when I was about to panic he decided to numb me to remove it. This was all in April.
After my classes finished I looked for another dentist to perform my regular cleaning and I complained my wisdom tooth (upper right) was aching and I was getting food stuck there and it was hard to clean. I thought I was going to have it removed.
The new dentist took X-rays and told me I have several cavities and that the problem was not my wisdom tooth but the molar next to it. She showed me the X-ray with a big stain and said:
- " you have a HUGE cavity inside this tooth and you will probably need a crown and there is a chance you will loose this tooth".
The thing is, she could not work on it because she was going on vacation and the next available appointment would be in a month and a half from now. I was in pain and I had a trip scheduled two days after so, I cancelled the trip (I lost a plane ticket) and I looked for another dentist that could see me right away.
I will need a root canal and a crown on this molar but I will not loose it. This dentist told me that even if the previous dentist had missed it on the X-rays, it was possible to see it in the cleaning and regular check-ups.
I am now on antibiotics, pain killer and I have an appointment to see an endodontist on Monday. This was a huge cavity.
The two other dentists I saw told me that this cavity has been there for a while (at least 4 years). It did not develop it in a year or so, and remember, I was there in April for my last visit!
I brush my teeth after every meal; I floss once a day and I go to the dentist 3 times a year.
The list of adjectives keep growing about this previous dentist : irresponsible, negligent, unethical, lazy, dishonest, disrespectful...
This is not the only cavity I have now but because of this poor job (poor was written because I what I really wanted to) I missed a trip, a lot the money for the airline ticket and I will have to pay for a job that could have had an easier fix.
Why? Why would he do this? Is it money? Is it because he gets more money treating a root canal and a crown than just a mere cavity? I am at a lost at what to think about this nonprofessional dentist...

Hi.

I'm sorry you went through all this. I agree with you that this dentist sounds negligent. It's up to you, but it may be worth reporting him. If nothing else maybe you could get compensated.

Also, I just want to mention that this site has a lot of information and members who can give you more information than I can. If you want to check out this link http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/forum/ .

Good luck and keep us posted.

JJ

Vote:

Ask a Question