Help a OA sista out please!!

Is it possible to fracture a tooth under a bracket on the facial surface only?!?!

I've worked as an RDA for almost a year now so I've gained knowledge on several different types of dentistry except orthodontics. I recently started my dream job as an OA last Monday for a local orthodontist so I'm just know learning a lot of things about the field. I also have been using a family friend that's a local Ortho my entire life. He did my first set 12 years ago and placed the set I have now at the end of June. My new boss was completely understanding bc of how extensive my first time in braces was and how close I am to completing this set of braces as well as the connection I have with "his competition".

I was a non compliant PT my first round so after 5 years in assuming the fam friend "completed TX" bc my parents and of course I was satisfied. But now being in dental field & understanding the complications of clenching grinding & jaw alignment I became worried about my jaw joint pain & chose to get another set to fix the pain & do it right this time.

I had an exam the week before having my braces put on and about 2 weeks ago. So I know even if I believe my hygiene is top knotch I don't have any decay or cavities. This morning I drank the first sip of my "daily" Diet Coke and fell to my knees in shooting pain from the temp change to the facial/occlusal area of 27& 29 (missing 28 from Exts bc of crowing issues). Long story short (sorry for the rant but I'm sorta despreate here).:,( at lunch I texted my general dentist about it & he's outta town til late Sunday so he couldn't help a sista out. I felt bad asking my new boss (that's leaving town tonight until Wednesday for his anniversary) to remove a bracket check it out "maybe find the issue" bc we only have a pano and facials aren't really gunna show on xrays anyways. my fam friend Ortho who's done all my Ortho treatment is out til Tuesday so he can't help a sista either.

I haven't been able to eat or drink all day bc of the shooting pain. So I swapped my pride & called the office I worked at up until starting OA job. We took PAs & a pano. Of course everything looks normal. Without being able to see under the bracket me & him decided to add to a filling to knock my occlusion out of line while my jaw is shifting from my Ortho TX & hopefully that'll fix it threw till I see one of the other 3. We tried endo ice tooth tapping.. All we could without having to remove or re bond a bracket.

I've been unable to make contact on the occlusion of my teeth since I had these braces put on except for on my central & lateral incisors. Within the last week or so I've noticed almost all my teeth are touching again. With new alignment & my teeth tapping at different places than what I have been all these years I've probs just grinded or clenched wearing the "fresh surface" down & it's sensitive after a serious nights sleep of grinding which happens when I don't sleep very well at night.

Get home after the emergency LOE & filling take a sip of water & I dropped to my knees again. I have no clue what it could be besides maybe a fracture under the bracket (honestly think it's just 27 but the pain radiates enough it kinda feels like it might be 29 too). Is that even possible?!?! Or what else could it be?!

On the bright side I'll lose some weight this weekend not being able to eat or drink LOL. & any ideas to what could be wrong would be AWESOME. I've never had more than a few occlusal fillings & even working in dentistry knowing solutions I'm terrified of crowns root canals & even having to have an EXT. Can chairside (damn near think I may be able to successfully preform some cases without a DDS ... Jk) all day long, think pts over react bc after the shot it's a walk in the park besides a little bit of pressure if the shots done correctly but TERRIFIED of actually being the patient. (& with my autoimmune really weak from a medical condition & being diabetic pretty damn sure my body would totally reject an implant even if the #1 OS preformed the surgery so I ain't even about to consider paying that kinda $$ then play the waiting game)

Ask a Question