Gingivitis and Deep Cleaning

Hi all.

I was recently told that I need a deep dental cleaning. I think it's also known as root planing and scaling.

My dentist told me that I have gingivitis and I need the deep cleaning within a month, but preferably as soon as possible. This way we can keep it from becoming periodontal disease.

I can't have the deep cleaning done yet, as I have adult braces on. Should be getting them off in 3-4 weeks.

I just wondering if anyone knows, will it hurt me to wait until the braces come off? I really don't want my teeth to get worse because I waited too long.

Also, if anyone's had the deep cleaning done before, would you mind sharing your experiences?

Thanks.

JJ

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
You don't need a deep cleaning for gingivitis (inflammation of the gums). A good quality simple cleaning and proper home care with an electric tooth brush, water flosser, etc, should be sufficient. If you had periodontal disease (bone loss around the teeth), that is a different matter.

Vote:
Hi.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not really sure. He said I have gingivitis and they also did a periodontal check on me at that appointment. The numbers were 3s, 4s and a couple of 5s.

I don't know if that helps.

Thanks.

JJ

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
I recently wrote a long and detailed post on this topic on my blog. I would recommend you read it. I think it will answer all your questions, but please comment there if you have additional questions.

Vote:
You don't need a deep cleaning for gingivitis (inflammation of the gums). A good quality simple cleaning and proper home care with an electric tooth brush, water flosser, etc, should be sufficient. If you had periodontal disease (bone loss around the teeth), that is a different matter.

Essentially this. I had early stages of gingivitis and my Dentist told me to start flossing as much as possible. Like Zuri mentioned, a water pick/flosser may be needed depending on how much plague and germs are between your teeth. Even a regular tooth brush will do the trick.

Vote:
Hi all.

I'm feeling relieved right now. Just got back from my dentist's appointment for my deep cleaning. I'm having a little gum tenderness and soreness, but this is normal and to be expected.

The hygienist showed me before and after pictures after we'd finished. I can't believe it. My teeth went from yellow to a shiny white. They look like they're brand new again. My gums went from a puffy red to a healthy pink. This was all just from one appointment.

I had the nitrous oxide even though I paid out of pocket. That stuff works miracles. I went from an anxious, nervous, fearful mess to completely relaxed. Honestly it feels like you've had too much to drink, but my anxiety was gone in just a few minutes. The hygienist told me that the procedure actually took 2 1/2 hours instead of two like we though it'd be. I couldn't believe it though, because it only felt like 15 - 20 minutes. I guess the nitrous makes you lose sense of time temporarily and they said that's how it is for some people.

I'm just so glad I went. That appointment prevented me from getting periodontal disease, which is irreversible and causes lots of problems.

Thank you all for your support.

JJ

Vote:

Ask a Question