Gasping for air at dentist?

So today I went dentist to get my front tooth prepared for a crown... Iv had a few fillings before and never had any problem. Today however he started drilling but suddenly I found myself gasping for air. It was like I couldn't breath. He said it would be different being it a front tooth. I don't know if was amount water and it being so close to my nose aswell. We attempted about 5times but every time I gasped!! I cried and dentist said try again in 2weeks. I feel so stupid. I couldn't control it. Anyone had this problem before? I don't wanna go back and same happens.
Thanks

Great Lakes Dental

Verified Dentist
Hi Sarah1989,

Many people experience anxiety while visiting their Dentist. In your case, likely it was the drill's pressure combined with the sound, that caused your body to experience a reaction. There are many options to treat dental anxiety, but the best one is simply finding a way to relax. I offer my patients the opportunity to borrow one of our office iPods. We have them loaded with selections of relaxing music, melodies and even binaural beats. Distracting yourself from the sound of the drill will take one major source of stress out of the equation. If your Dentist does't offer that, consider bringing music with you that you find relaxing or enjoyable.

Another trick is to simply keep reminding yourself that "it doesn't hurt and it won't hurt", often it's the perceived anticipation of pain that will cause people anxiety. Truth is, most dental procedures are painless, however if your mind believes that it'll be painful, that in itself can cause you stress & anxiety.

Education is also effective at reducing your anxiety. Watch a YouTube video of a crown-prep in the comfort of your home. When you return for your next appointment, ask your Dentist to fully explain the procedure before starting. Understanding what's happening, when it's happening will help reduce your fear.

Of course there other medicinal options: nitrous oxide (laughing gas), prescription drugs or sleep dentistry. However it sounds as though you've been successful at the Dentist before (with your previous fillings), therefore I'd recommend that you try again (with the belief that you'll be successful) before opting for medication.

Hope this helps and let us know how your next appointment works out.

Regards,

Dr. Jennifer Thomm
Cosmetic Dentist
Great Lakes Dental
Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Vote:

Ask a Question