Functional Orthodontists?

I have an overbite with a 6mm protrusion, crowding, and a bit of TMJ. I've visited multiple orthodontists on regarding getting braces for my mouth. In regards to my receding chin (Class II case), all 4 doctors have told me they cannot move my chin forward; they can only push back my upper front teeth. One of them told me I may need to extract 4 teeth, another told me 2 on the top. Last two doctors told me I didn't not need to extract any teeth. They all told me that the changes will be subtle and they will almost be no change to my face and/or jaw structure because I am 17.

Now the real reason I'm started this is to ask if anyone has any experience with a "functional orthodontist." I have browse the net for them and according to various sources, they can actually move the jaw forward by using "functional applications." But even so, there was very limited amount of information about this practice. So follows a few questions:

1) ANY experiences at all with functional orthodontists?

2) What is the average cost difference of functional vs traditional?

3) Ways to find a functional orthodontists? I tried the International Association of Orthodontists website.

4) All other information regarding this and my overbite is greatly appreciated :)

drmins

Verified Dentist
Hi Jaters,

I practice myofunctional stimulotherapy (mfs) at my practice. You can find many others at your place too. You may check online directories of the respective local dental associations. Functional appliances will have their better roles in growing induiduals,to guide the growth.

Regarding whether you have to extract 2 or 4 teeth, it all depends upon your model analysis.
Share any side view pic of the case (although precise opinions need further examinations)

Vote:

Ask a Question