Food stuck in fresh socket

Hello!

I got four teeth extractions (for my braces, they are not my wisdom teeth) this morning and I finished approximately at 10am. My dentist informed me that I should drink liquids and eat ice cream. Also, I was informed not to rinse my mouth for today.

At around 11:50 I was hungry so I decided to eat ice cream even though my mouth was still numb. As I was eating the ice cream I noticed there were tiny pieces of some sort of candy or cake in it, but I did not think it would be a huge problem. (I was eating strawberry shortcake ice cream)

When I finished I continued to place the gauze back into my mouth where I noticed that something was in one of my lower gum sockets! Thinking it was just ice cream and it would just melt away, I dabbed it with the gauze causing the piece to be further pushed in and realizing it was one of the tiny pieces found in the ice cream!

I am really scared since the teeth extractions are very new and is still in the beginning process of healing. I have read that you should rinse it out with salt water, but my dentist informed me not to rinse out my mouth for today.

Should I be scared? Will it disturb the healing process of my gums? Will it naturally come out as my gums heal? (The piece is in pretty deep) What should I do?

Please help.

Thanks,
Julie

Ask a Question