Filing teeth without consent

Several years ago, I went to see my dentist to have work done on my two front teeth, they had cavities that needed to be filled.
Just before or after, I can't remember which, he used what I'm pretty sure was the same drill he used fill my cavities to file the top of my bottom teeth down without my consent.
At the time, I thought he might be up to something, but I wasn't sure what, so I didn't speak up.
Just after my cavities were filled, the procedure was over and I left the building, I thought to myself, maybe he was filing my teeth down, and I felt kind of peeved because I didn't ask for that, nor did he inform me of the risks, he just went ahead and did it.
My teeth always looked fine to me anyway, and I don't believe in altering my body in anyway unless absolutely necessary, certainly not for minor aesthetic purposes.

Fast forward a few years later, and I noticed there's a brand new chip on the top of one the bottom teeth I'm sure he filed that wasn't there a week or so ago.
Not sure how I got it, but I wonder if what he did made my teeth more susceptible to chipping, or other complications.
I feel angry that he just went ahead in did that, without my permission, I just hope that all the tops of my bottom teeth don't start chipping or falling apart because of what he shouldn't have done, he had no right to do it.

My questions are, in light of what just happened to me, how damaging can using the dentist drill to file down someones teeth be, what's the likelihood it lead to my chipping, and that it could lead to future chipping, and two, was what he did totally improper and out of line, and do I have grounds for filing a complaint, or taking legal action against him or his company?

Several years ago, I went to see my dentist to have work done on my two front teeth, they had cavities that needed to be filled.
Just before or after, I can't remember which, he used what I'm pretty sure was the same drill he used fill my cavities to file the top of my bottom teeth down without my consent.
At the time, I thought he might be up to something, but I wasn't sure what, so I didn't speak up.
Just after my cavities were filled, the procedure was over and I left the building, I thought to myself, maybe he was filing my teeth down, and I felt kind of peeved because I didn't ask for that, nor did he inform me of the risks, he just went ahead and did it.
My teeth always looked fine to me anyway, and I don't believe in altering my body in anyway unless absolutely necessary, certainly not for minor aesthetic purposes.

Fast forward a few years later, and I noticed there's a brand new chip on the top of one the bottom teeth I'm sure he filed that wasn't there a week or so ago.
Not sure how I got it, but I wonder if what he did made my teeth more susceptible to chipping, or other complications.
I feel angry that he just went ahead in did that, without my permission, I just hope that all the tops of my bottom teeth don't start chipping or falling apart because of what he shouldn't have done, he had no right to do it.

My questions are, in light of what just happened to me, how damaging can using the dentist drill to file down someones teeth be, what's the likelihood it lead to my chipping, and that it could lead to future chipping, and two, was what he did totally improper and out of line, and do I have grounds for filing a complaint, or taking legal action against him or his company?

I recently had a similar situation and can't be more upset. Went to a new dentist to have my teeth clean. The hygentist was wonderfull. I then met with the dentist and discussed having an eye tooth with some very old bonding repaired. I came back two weeks later to have the work done and noticed it seemed like he was drilling away from the area. I even put my hand up and he said everything was ok. He had filed down my slightly elongated front teeth which was never discussed. They are what gave me a full beautiful smile and are now little squared off teeth. I have never needed any othadonic work at 55 and have always been complented on my smile Now my toung stick s through when i talk and my smile will never be the same. To make matters worse. The tops of my teeth now rub back and forth on the bottom one. I know this post was older but wondered if you received any feedback.

Vote:

Ask a Question