Feldspathic crowns shade

Hello. I am soon going to get a full mouth restoration with feldspathic crowns (CEREC CAD/CAM) and I still have doubts over the shade of them. My dentist advised me not to get a bleach shade, as it looks unnatural on crowns and I should go for B1. Is B1 going to be white enough? I want white teeth, that look natural, but not too bright. Do you know where to find some photos with this type of crowns, B1 shade? Thank you.

Photos won't help you with judging shade - they are inaccurate and are influenced by all kinds of factors beyond your control.
B1 is a very bright shade and i would never advise a patient to go any whiter - unless you want teeth the same colour as your toilet bowl. It looks terrible and will look more and more incongruous as you get older.
In my opinion, Cerec crowns are not the best option. Even though they can nowadays have a 'graduated' colour in them, they are still rather monochromatic compared to natural teeth. Also as they are milled from a solid blank they have very little characterisation, texture or the subtle anatomical detail that makes a good crown look truly natural.
The very best result is still obtained with a traditional, but high tech, impression technique with the the crown being custom made by a skilled technician.
Cerec is quick by comparison, but speed does not often equate with quality.
Some very good dentists give their machine made crowns to a technician for characterisation, colour effects and refinement. As ever, you get what you pay for.
Remember too, that a full mouth restoration is a heavy undertaking and that the restored teeth can subsequently develop problems depending on how much cutting down is done. Crowns can also fail if not done to the highest standards leading to a vicious circle of repeat treatment and eventual tooth loss.
Finally Cerec cannot reproduce the detail in the biting surfaces of teeth that exists in nature and your dentist should be well versed in constructing and adjusting an occlusion (your 'bite') if you are to be comfortable and healthy long term.
I hope your dentist fulfilled his/her professional duty and informed you of all of this in a written treatment plan and got your informed written consent before starting?

Vote:
Thank you very much for your answer, much appreciated. The clinic I'm going to has a few technicians they are working with, I've also met with one of them and spoke about the color, took many pictures of my teeth (and face) and we settled to B1 tops. As for the occlusion, my dentist took photos and videos of my biting, took a few "prints"? of my teeth during this whole process and after I had all my temp crowns, got them down and took the final print. My dentist says she wants to cement 12 crowns starting from the back of my mouth and then focus on the final form for my front teeth. Also, I had problems with my teeth for a very long time now and I think something like 20 teeth have root canal treatments done, with x-ray done before, after and 6 months later. I think my dentist is very professional, what do you think? (Of course, very little information :D) Thank you very much again!

P.S.: I vaguely remember her mentioning something about my back crowns, that she can't do them all at once with CEREC or something, I figured it might have something to do with the occlusion as you said. Btw, the whole process is taking like 5 months+, had to take the wisdom teeth out, root canals etc.

Last edited:

Vote:
I saw a case similiar to mine this week, made by the same clinic, B1 shade and I'm totally disappointed, I was expecting something entirely different. I can show you via PM if you want.

Vote:

Ask a Question