extreme pain 10 days post extraction

i had a back tooth pulled. ive had other teeth pulled so i knew what to expect, slight pain and soreness. That is perfectly fine but, at about 9 days after the extraction, it became very intense and getting worse.The pain literally kept me up all night. Now I am on day 10. i went and saw my dentist this morning and he checked it out and said everything looked perfectly fine, no dry socket. He gave me some antibiotics and Tylenol 3's saying it could be an infection on the bottom. Today is Still day 10 and im still in extreme pain. meds not helping at all. keep calling them and they keep saying to just take ibuprofen and call in the morning if it still hurts. i feel like I am not being taken seriously of the amount of pain I am in. It is a shooting pain from the base of my jaw all the way up to my head causing headaches and my ear to hurt. As ive said i have had 3 other extractions and not one of them has hurt like this. Is there anything else it could be? Anything i can do?

side note : i was not given anything post extraction, not antibiotics or anything for pain which was also different from my other extractions.

Thank you in advance for any help !

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with an extraction, intense persistent pain after a tooth had been removed. In my case it was because a fragment of the extracted tooth was still lodged in the gum and needed to be removed.

Vote:
Would the dentist not be able to tell if there was still a piece in there? did your dentist notice it right away or did you have to keep going back? Its now day 11 now and still in ongoing pain. haven't called the dentist yet in case it is just an infection and trying to give antibiotics time to work. Not proud of it, but i had to get some other pain medicine as the dentist keeps putting off giving me anything to help (not sure why he would). At this point im just ready for it just to be over.

Vote:
your explanation fits almost exactly... i started checking out my other teeth earlier today to see if i need another one pulled. top and bottom beacuse i cant pinpoint where the pain is as its the whole side of my face. going back again first thing tomorrow

Vote:

Ask a Question