Extraction Site & Tissue Pain

I have had a lot of tooth extractions and dry sockets, so I am familiar with that pain. Exactly 1 week ago, I had a lower 2nd bicuspid and the adjacent 1st molar pulled. It was a difficult extraction and the root had to be split, removed and no stitches were put into the gums. Within 3 days I started experiencing pain that hasn’t stopped since. Sharp stabbing pain in the upper gum on the same side as the tooth extractions (I have no maxillary teeth) and sharp pain in the extraction site that feels like dry sockets. Due to the July 4th holiday, I went to the ER and they prescribed antibiotics, in which I am taking. On Monday, July 7th I returned to the dentist and told him of the intense pain, in addition to asking about the jaw bone that is still exposed. He told me that things were healing, I don’t have dry sockets and to use ambisol on my gums for the pain. Nothing is taking care of the pain!

Through much experience with extractions, I have never had this type of pain, but the dentist insisted this healing process is normal.

So I am hopeful to get some help here with understanding what is going on and these are my questions:

1) Will tissue eventually heal over the exposed lower jaw bone?

2) What is causing my maxillary gum tissue to have sharp intense pain?

3) How long should I wait to see if the gum heals or at what point should I return to the dentist since there is no more follow up?

Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

Ask a Question