Does white filling need more time to settle or I need root canal?

2 months ago my molar tooth hurt on cold and sweet so I had to change my "silver" filling and now I have "white" one (I don't know much about fillings so I call it silver and white, sorry). Then 1 month ago it started to hurt again (it hurts for a few seconds on water and sweet again, so not a few minutes, just under minute) so I went to another dentist and he changed filling, gave me another "white". It is deep, he also put something on the bottom (a "medicine" for root, don't know how to explain it better) and it was good for about a week. Then it started to hurt again on water and sweet (not on bite, not spontaneously) but this time a pain lasted for a few minutes, then all is cool. So, I did x-ray and went to third dentist, because I'm student and my previous dentist is from other city. Third dentist said my x-ray is good, there is nothing wrong with tooth or nerve/root. She then found a smaaaall crack/hole on side of the tooth where that white stuff meets tooth , so she put some "white gel" or whatever and said it will probably be better, but if it's not then she will put a new white filling and eventually , root canal. This last thing said all 3 of them. After her treatment I feel a much smaller pain on water and sweet again which lasts a few seconds. So, my question is, why would she say I need root canal if pain continues when there is nothing wrong on x-ray and there is nothing wrong when they are looking into my mouth? No one found any cavity. And second question is, is it true that white fillings needs sometimes few months to settle? Like, some people can feel a pain when they drink water for a few months after a deep white filling on molar. (I read it somewhere on internet, even that third dentist said she needed 6 months for her tooth to stop hurting after filling)
Very sorry for a wall of text. Oh I also would like to say I'm SUPER scared of rooting canal.

P.S. I wrote this yesterday so update is it hurts on water and fruit (not warm water) , on sweet food sometimes yes sometimes not.

Hi there,
Your tooth has a deep filling, that means is close to the nerve (which is in the center of the tooth) , if the wall between the filling and the nerve is too shallow (deep filling) , then if you eat anything with different temperature it will be passed to the nerve earl quick causing your pain, regardless of the material of the filling.
This tooth either will have less pain with time, if the nerve is still healthy cause it will adapt to the new environment and everything will be find, might take couple of months.
Or you have same/worse pain, that means your never is infected already (cause the bacteria has been inside the space through the very thin wall left under the filling), then you will need a root canal.
That's all the story :)

Vote:
Ok, cool, so I wait and see what will happen with a pain.
I bought Sensodyne Rapid tooth paste for sensitive teeth today and it actually helps. I mean I still feel water but a loooot less. I wonder if this tooth paste is just temporary solution or it will heal it somehow...I guess it's just to help me until my nerve decides to cooperate with filling :D
Thanks for answer!

Vote:

Ask a Question