Dentures never worked

My wife received a full set of dentures about 2 years ago and they never worked well from the outset. Too painful to eat, never felt like they fit, and none of the adjustments done by the dentist helped. Now the lower set is broken, mostly due to them going in and out constantly. My question is what options would be be best: should we just start over with a different dentist? Is it possible to get an identical replacement set, and if so, refit from that? Any other options? I don't remember why implants were not recommended, and we would prefer not dealing with the original dentist as he seemed to think she "should have been more comfortable," implying it was her fault. Cosmetically, they were excellent.

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
It's impossible to know how to answer this as there are many reasons a denture might hurt. You also didn't specify if these were full dentures (she has no teeth) or partial ones. But in general, lower full dentures are very problematic even if they are well-made. Upper full dentures are usually easy to get used to and don't hurt. So if she has an upper full denture and that hurts too, I would wonder if she has a special situation or if the dentures just weren't made as well as they could have been.

If in doubt, go get a second opinion from a "prosthodontist". These are dentists that have received extra training in these sorts of problems and he/she might be able to tell you what to do next. This is different than a general dentist.

Vote:

Ask a Question