Dentist wants to remove all my wisdom teeth. Please see my X-ray.

I was told that all my wisdom teeth should be removed. The dentist did say it was NOT something that had to be done right away but that it will need to be done at some point in the near future. Please have a look at the x-ray and I would like to hear another professional opinion.
Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• dentist.jpg
    dentist.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 447
I was told that all my wisdom teeth should be removed. The dentist did say it was NOT something that had to be done right away but that it will need to be done at some point in the near future. Please have a look at the x-ray and I would like to hear another professional opinion.
Thank you for your help.
In my opinion, the truth this early removal of wisdom teeth is actually much more traumatic than a wait and sees approach which leaves asymptomatic wisdom teeth in place and only removes them if pathology develops in the future. Hope this will help you.

Vote:
There is quite alot of differing philosophies or opinions on how to treat wisdom teeth.

In general, I have an educated conversation about the pros/cons of both sides.

By looking at your panoramic x-ray, it appears that your bottom wisdom teeth will never fully erupt. This can cause problems occasionally in terms of having infections around the gums of the wisdom teeth (pericornitis). This occurs because food, bacteria, and plaque is trapped underneath the gums of wisdom teeth that are not fully erupted. As well, wisdom teeth are often hard to clean because of their location in the mouth. Without flossing and brushing properly between the wisdom tooth and the tooth in front of it, cavities can often form on either teeth. Those are the most common risks of leaving the wisdom teeth in place.

The pros of taking out the wisdom teeth now is that you are younger, and your body has a better healing capacity. Some people also prefer to have the wisdom teeth out before they become a problem. While it is possible to have the wisdom teeth be asymptomatic, there is always a risk that they will become a problem in the future.

Educating the patient on this, they are able to make an informed decision themselves on what they would like to do. Hope that helps!

PS. You have an extra wisdom tooth on the upper right!

Vote:
In my opinion, the truth this early removal of wisdom teeth is actually much more traumatic than a wait and sees approach which leaves asymptomatic wisdom teeth in place and only removes them if pathology develops in the future. Hope this will help you.

Vote:
This x-ray shows wisdom teeth that are coming in at very awkward angles. The upper wisdom tooth is pointing toward the back of the mouth and the lower wisdom tooth is pointing directly at the molar in front of it, which can potentially damage that tooth. As you can see in the x-ray to the right, the upper wisdom tooth is pointing backwards and the lower one looks like it is going to run into the tooth in front of it. Many wisdom teeth try to erupt into the mouth by pushing on the molar right in front of it. This can make it easy for the adjacent molar to get a cavity. It can also cause the gums to recede around that tooth. This can sometimes severely damage the adjacent molar that both it and the wisdom tooth need to be extracted. When a tooth is just sitting inside the jawbone for many years, it can form what is called a dentigerous cyst. This cyst can eventually turn into cancer. I would say as many wisdom teeth develop cavities. If someone can’t clean their wisdom teeth, then it’s a good idea to get them taken out before they cause pain and problems.

Vote:

Ask a Question