Dentist Problems....

I recently moved out of state to NM. I have fairly poor teeth and oral health and have to get fillings, cleanings, and sometimes root canals yearly. About three weeks ago, maybe a month, i had eight veneers put on (they are amazing!) . The past two weeks i started having very intense tooth pain on #13 behind my veneers. I decided to get it checked out, even though i'm used to dealing with tooth pain on a daily basis, to make sure it wasn't anything serious. I went into the first dentist i could find (first dentist i've been to in the town i moved to) and they were almost positive i needed at least one root canal. At the time my pain was somewhat managed, however i can't take IB Profen or any NSAIDS anymore due to stomach problems. As a result my gums were swollen as well as my cheek, i was using tylenol to relieve some of the pain.

Other Dentists i have had prior to this have noted my extreme resistance to novacaine, it is extremely hard to get me numb. When getting my veneers put on, they had to give me an extensive 19 shots, i basically looked like a duck afterwards. Many of my dentists believe it is due to a combination of genetics, the anatonomy of my mouth, and hypersensitivy accumulated over the years. The dentist where i now live decided to attempt to do the root canal later that afternoon ( i was not put on antibiotics beforehand). He seemed a bit nervous working with me, but was very thorough and honest with me. He realized after about ten shots i still wasn't completely numb. I was in considerable pain before i came into the office, and i believe in combination with my resistance, this caused this situation. He referred me to an endondtist that could possibly help me better. He sent an email explaining he wasn't quite sure which tooth needed a root canal, and the fact that my gums were inflamed, infected, and i was very difficult to numb.

Today i went to this endontist expecting a more intensive examine to look further into what could be causing the pain. Waking up, after having the mouth messed around with quite a bit the day before, i was in extreme pain. Even slightly opening my mouth breathing would hurt, talking hurt, i couldnt sleep, absolutely not eat, and basically layed in bed wanting to rip my teeth out until the appointment. I took tylenol 3, which barely put a dent in the pain. My gums were also now massively swollen.

I went into the dentist office and i am informed that we are just going to go through with the root canal. I understand that makes sense, but i expected to get atleast a second opinion and another examination to determine this was the right course of action. I also did not believe that i would be able to get numb, not nearly numb enough for a root canal, because of the intense pain i was already in and the amount of swelling throughout my mouth (at this time i already had a few peptic ulcers forming as well). The dentist sat down and proceeded to try to start the root canal when i asked for an actual second opinion and examination. He looked at me funny, asked me to open my mouth, did a quick runthrough and basically said yup lets go for #13, and if that doesnt work we will go onto another. He mentioned my gums looked horrible.

I then proceeded to explain my concerns about him not being able to get me numb because of the intense pain i was already in and the amount of swelling, and peptic ulcers on my gums from the work the afternoon before. He kind of laughed and said in a way that well i thought you were going to go through with this and i could be treating another patient.

That obviously upset me alot. I tried to explain earnestly that i know my own teeth, and i have always had these problems with numbing. I told him i have had dentists send me home and put me on antibiotics to wait for the swelling to subside so it would be easier to numb me (still with three to four times the normal amount of shots) and give me a less stressful expirience. I understood that performing the root canal would get rid of pain, but the way he suggested it implied i would be in no pain at all, even after my gums and other teeth were wracked about once again. I have had root canals, and there is pain (sometimes quite a bit), afterwards. I asked to reschedule in the next few days so i could wait for the swelling to subside and for the pain to be less substantial.

He started to treat me rudely, like i didn't know what i was talking about. I explained my huge history with difficulty in numbing, tooth pain, and tooth problems, i know my own mouth. He eventually agreed, i was upset because i was already in a lot of pain, and now this endondist was making me feel like an idiot (i wanted to cry i was so frustrated). I was already uncomfortable enough, in a new town, with a gigantic amount of mouth pain. He didn't believe that he couldn't get me numb, he was going to use "the strong stuff". I have had so much work on my mouth, by many different dentists, i am positive dentists have tried to use the "strong stuff" before.

Anyways i scheduled the appointment for next week. He tried to be nice to me after he realized all i wanted to do was get the root canal when i wasn't all swollen and already beat up in my mouth. I asked him what i should do to help me sleep until then "pain management", and he told me to take IB profen. I saw him read over my one page chart, and i listed three times that i can't take NSAIDS or IB Profen. I also mentioned the tylenol wasnt working, this mouth pain was absolutely horrible, especially since the dentist worked on it yesterday but could not go through with it. Then he said, "well im not going to prescribe you any heavy painkillers." I didn't ask for heavy painkillers, i asked for something that worked so im not trying to rip my face off every second of the day and night. I told him, i can't take IB Profen and the Tylenol isn't working. He kind of laughed and said well what does work. I told him after getting out of the hospital after two weeks, because of IB Profen, they prescribed me something stronger but not heavier pain meds.

He thought i shouldn't need that, but prescribed me some for nightime anyway. I was just very confused and upset with the way i was treated. I felt like i was being pressured into something, then i felt the dentist wasn't listening what-so-ever to me about my resistance to numbing, he was very rude to me, and lastly he was going to make it hard to treat my pain. He tried to make up for it and be nice to me at the end of the appointment, but i think thats because the dental assistant saw me almost in tears (pain and frustration).

My question is do i stick with this endondist, or should i go somewhere else?

Ask a Question