Dental surgery then issue with tongue

I had a molar removed. Two days later, I went off the soft food diet and ate some tortilla chips. I crunched down on one in such a manner that I drove one of the points into the soft tissue underneath my tongue, in the back on the same side as the pulled tooth. It has been a week and a day since the oral survery and six days since the tongue incident. Both still hurt, mostly the tongue. I have stayed on the soft food diet and am still taking 3 to 4 ibuprofen every four hours for the pain. The tongue never bleed from this that I know of. I am 54. What should I do?

Hello. If your pain has not gone away to the extent that you still require pain killers I would advise you to contact the dentist and ask them for advice. Depending on how much trauma was caused during the extraction it can take over a week to heal and the swelling to go down. Also as you know tortilla chips can have some pretty sharp pointy edges. It may be wise to ask your dentist to check that there are no foreign objects lodged in the socket. Can you feel anything in there?

Most importantly.. what strength Ibuprofen are you taking? The maximum dosage of for an adult is no more than 400mg in six hours. It's concerning to hear that you are taking 3-4 tablets every 4 hours. Even if they are the smaller 200mg tablets you should not take anymore than 2 of those every 6 hours.

Please be careful with painkillers and always read the label.

Best wishes. :)

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question