Dental implant advice

18 year old male tooth extracted on feb 2016 looking for advice based on ct scans and report provided below. Also can some one explain what the report is saying.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-09-28-17-52-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-09-28-17-52-54.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 348
  • Screenshot_2016-09-28-17-54-06.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-09-28-17-54-06.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 331
It is a cone beam ct scan. All they're doing is measuring the bone to select an appropriate sized titanium screw for your planned implant. If the screw is too wide the bone would fail, if the screw is too long it would go into your nose, if the screw is too small you could face failure due to the use of the tooth. You will loose some bone after the placement as well, hopefully not too much. Around my implants the bone is now concave.

The cone-beam ct scan is a sign of competency to me. Mine used x-rays. They make sure they won't hit a nerve or anything either. Some people have had permanent numbness in their mouth due to implant placement hitting a nerve (or even being close).

You're 18 years old? I got suckered into an implant right after I turned 18 as well. One of the worst mistakes of my life. If you're serious, wait till you're 4 years older and through college is my advice. Also, do a google search for the life expectancy of dental implants- you should see 30 years tops. It is not life-long.

Even if all goes well with the implant, with the bone loss, there may not be enough bone to replace the implant when it eventually fails.

I lost a perfectly good molar due to this implant. And my implant turned out not safe to chew on due to faulty placement. It is cosmetic. That is all it is.

In sales pitches I've seen it said that titanium is inert. I've seen research online saying some people (<4%) do have allergic reactions, and should get a titanium allergy test done prior to such a permanent and invasive placement.

Spend that money on pizza instead. And wait till dental science improves.

Kudos to you for doing some research online first. And make sure you get another opinion!

P.S. A few year down your road if your wisdom teeth are coming in strait, you don't need them removed. They can come in handy decades later as replacement molars (your molars naturally scoot forward to fill gaps). Your dentist may still pressure you to remove them to get whatever your parent's insurance company pays for that service.

Last edited:

Vote:
If you lose bone cant you do a bone graft to build it stronger. I cant imagine another 4 years with a dental flipper, the most annoying thing iv ever experienced. And if you wait dont u just keep losing more bone in the area

Vote:
If you lose bone cant you do a bone graft to build it stronger.
If you want to pay for that possibility. I no longer want to be treated like a human Frankenstein personally.

This chap did just what you asked about twice, look how he turned out: https://www.dentistry-forums.com/threads/implants-bone-grafts.22112/

After my experience with implants, I only advocate for life saving surgical work. Cosmetic surgical work I strongly advise against.

Ask your doctor if he can sew it back to the underlying tissue. If so disconnected for too long it will likely die due to lack of blood.

And if you wait dont u just keep losing more bone in the area
Hmmmm I don't have any literature observations here to give a good answer. The space my socket is now didn't fill up with bone, adjacent to it is a cliff of bone. Seems in better shape there then the bone next to my implants. My impression is that somehow the titanium implant causes bone loss. Good research project I guess, but I need to go run an errand now.

Vote:
You will need to have the tooth extracted or pulled, and then have a dental implant surgically placed. In my practice, I will take a 3-D image of your mouth. The image will show the intricate details of your bone structure, teeth, and gums. I plan the implant placement using guided implant surgery technology that ensures the most comfortable and natural fit.

Vote:

Ask a Question