Crown after root canal

I had a root canal done about 2 years ago. Lately I have noticed the tooth (which is towards the front of my mouth) getting darker. I went to a dentist that was recommended by my orthodontist. The dentist took xrays and said that he would be unable to fill it with bleach because he was afraid the tooth would crack because it is so hallow. So he said the only option is to put a crown over it, which I am fine with. He said I would have to have 3 separate appointments. He will have to put a piece of metal in the tooth to act as the stability for the tooth and then put the crown over it. For this one tooth it is going to cost me 4 times as much as what some other people I have talked to has paid for a crown. I suppose the reasoning for the high cost is because of this piece being placed. My only concern is if it is necessary to have this piece placed there. I have heard of many people having root canals and then needing to have a crown but I have never heard of there being a piece of metal in there that is specially made for the tooth. My mother in law has had a root canal done and then had a crown put on and it cost her $1800 less than what I am going to be charged. I am just curious as to if this is necessary or if this is just a way to make more money and it really isn't all that necessary.

It sounds like you are describing a post and buildup. Is your tooth broken? Sometimes a post is placed within a tooth to add strength before a crown is placed. If your tooth is not badly broken or decayed a post is not usually necessary. If you feel uncomfortable I would recommend that you get a second opinion to put your mind at ease. I'm not sure what country you're in, but in the US a post, buildup, and crown should cost a lot less than $1800.

Vote:
Thank you for your response. I do live in the US, in Iowa. My tooth is not cracked or broken. He mentioned that by looking at the xrays it was rather hollow and thought it was weak. He actually told me the total cost will be $2600, which is $1800 more than what my mother in law has paid a different dentist to put a crown on hers. Again, thank you very much for your response.

Vote:
For front teeth, a crown is usually not needed. If the front tooth has large decay and causing the need for root canal then a crown is necessary. A hollow canal is all depends on the age of the patient. A younger person would have a more hollow canal. Usually i would just do internal bleaching for front teeth to solve the discoloration

Vote:

Ask a Question