Can I ask my previous dentist to pay for their mistake?

I had 3 composite fillings done back in late October of 2013. Immediately 2 of the 3 were too sore to chew on for a week so I went back about a week later and they ground down the 2 of them. I was told they would be sore for a while.

I waited and waited but the one tooth ended up hurting just as much as it did right after the filling. Finally in February I go back. She didn't seem to understand why the one hurt so much because all the fillings were so small an near the surface. She ground down the one some more and asked me if it was better now when I chewed on a wad of cotton and it hurt just as much. She said to give it some time (like 4 months wasn't enough!). She also said that as far as the hot/cold sensitivity goes that maybe I'm just one of those people who will have to deal with it. She said if the grinding down this time doesn't help then she doesn't have anything more in her bag of tricks.

Well I had enough of her and looked for a new dentist. I went in yesterday to see the new one for a general overall look at my mouth. X-rays were taken and before the dentist or hygenist told me what was up, I was able to figure it out for myself. The tooth that hurt showed a black spot under the filling which I figured was an air bubble. Sure enough, that is what the dentist told me it was as well. Why didn't my previous dentist simply do an x-ray to find this?

Now I need to have the filling taken out and redone but my insurance has a clause where it won't pay for filling being redone for up to 2 years so I have to pay $245 out of pocket for an error that was made by the previous dentist. Do I have a right to ask the previous dentist to cover my cost since it was their error?

Absolutely. If possible, get a copy of the x-ray to take with you if she is unwilling to refund you. It would be much easier and less expensive for her to give you your money back than to face a lawsuit.

Vote:

Ask a Question