blood on my dental floss.

I brush 3 times a day, and floss once a day. Ive been noticing that my dental floss in one pocket will have blood on the dental floss, not really bleed but just have blood on the string. And sometimes I will hit it again and then no blood on the floss. Then last tight I noticed a very faint red streak when I spit into the sink. Just an almost trace amount of blood. Less than 1/4 of a droplet of what apeared to be blood. Again my teeth dont usually bleed. Is this a problem I read that its not a problem unless my gums actively bleed even after brushing and flossing. And then I read that your gums should not bleed at all?

Well, I am not a dentist so can't tell anything, but give you some tips. Use a soft toothbrush and be sure to floss beyond the gum line to remove more plaque. Rinse with salt water or hydrogen peroxide to keep that area clean. You should notice it till one week if your gums blood regularly then concern a dentist.
Take care Dear.

Vote:
Probably you are not doing the floss the way it has to be used and may be due to that you are getting injury in your gums,so please use it the way it has to be used

Vote:

Great Lakes Dental

Verified Dentist
Hi morbe77,

The problem you've described is not abnormal and on it's own, shouldn't be much of a concern. When it comes to your gums, what you need to be watching for is signs of Periodontal Disease. Symptoms may include: red, swollen and tender gums, persistent bad breath, and/or teeth that appear to be getting longer. Profuse bleeding during or after you brush or floss would also be a warning sign. Small traces of blood, without the presence of any other symptoms, shouldn't be a concern.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Jennifer Thomm
Cosmetic Dentist
Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Vote:

Ask a Question