Best painkiller combo

Hi everyone. I hope your all doing good today :)

I'm just wondering which of the following will be best for toothache either on their own or in a combination?

Paracetamol 500mg
Ibuprofen 400mg
Naproxen 500mg
Codeine Phosphate 30mg
Nefopam (Acupan) 30mg
Morphine Sulfate 25mg (OxyNorm)
Gabapentin 100mg

Many thanks in advance. :)

Thanks for all the replies :)

In the hope of helping others..... I took 1 x Naproxen and that worked better than any of the others taken in the past.

However always check the patient information leaflet before taking anything you have never had before and always check for interactions with any other medications you take.

Vote:
No thank you. I'm curious what your reasons are for asking? :confused:
I ask because last year I was getting headaches 24/7, they lasted 6 months and I was prescribed Naproxen, they were the only pain killer that helped. Thankfully I have not had a headache since last December and I have some naproxen left over.

I had a tooth removed the week before last and needed the roots drilling out, I have been using 1 or 2 Naproxen a day and it helps. I wondered if I need more will I need a prescription, so good to know I wont.

Vote:
I'm pretty sure Naproxen is available in many different brand names OTC in the UK without the need for a prescription.

Naproxen is the only NSAID that helped with the last type of oral pain I had. I have an ongoing condition which requires opiate based medications and that did nothing for my oral pain. But the Naproxen did. :)

It's a good thing that there are so many different types of pain management available. However finding the right one for the type of pain is sometimes a bit of a problem. :)

Unfortunately I have paid the price for not looking after my teeth and have had most of them removed. I wish I found Naproxen earlier than I did. And wish I looked after my teeth better than I did too! :)

I am glad your headaches and oral pain has subsided.

Best wishes.

Vote:
I'm pretty sure Naproxen is available in many different brand names OTC in the UK without the need for a prescription.

Naproxen is the only NSAID that helped with the last type of oral pain I had. I have an ongoing condition which requires opiate based medications and that did nothing for my oral pain. But the Naproxen did. :)

It's a good thing that there are so many different types of pain management available. However finding the right one for the type of pain is sometimes a bit of a problem. :)

Unfortunately I have paid the price for not looking after my teeth and have had most of them removed. I wish I found Naproxen earlier than I did. And wish I looked after my teeth better than I did too! :)

I am glad your headaches and oral pain has subsided.

Best wishes.

I wish I had known that last year as I was paying over £7 each time I needed a new box of naproxen and the staff in the Drs surgery were so miserable and unhelpful too.

I found naproxen took a while to kick in but when it did it lasted a good few hours and eased the pain. Thankfully the pain has subsided from the tooth extraction now.

Like you I wish I knew then what I know now and I had looked after my teeth better, actually I was over brushing and brushing incorrectly which receded my gums and they do not grow back.

This site does not seem to get much participation, do you know of another UK site for dentistry? You can PM me if you prefer.

All the best with you pain management.

Vote:
Hello Nikolai Fesenko and thanks for your input. :)

Did you mean that combining Naproxen and Ibuprofen is not a safe combination? If you did, then yes that is correct.

Otherwise, and if you were not aware, I'd like to draw to your attention that you can safely combine Paracetamol and Ibuprofen. There is no reason to suggest that the combination can cause problems if used properly and responsibly if you are otherwise healthy.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/857.aspx?CategoryID=73

But also remember that the re-dose interval for Ibuprofen is different to that of paracetamol. You can have a maximum of 1000mg of paracetamol every 4 hours and no more than 4000mg in 24 hours. And with Ibuprofen a maximum of 400mg every 6 hours and no more that 1200mg in 24 hours.

Ibuprofen 400mg Patient info:
http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/spcpil/documents/spcpil/con1454050023657.pdf

Paracetamol 500mg Patient info:
http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/par/documents/websiteresources/con125973.pdf

However if you have current or past liver or kidney problems it is advisable to consult with your GP before taking either paracetamol or ibuprofen together or separately.

And as always with any medication, always read the label and check with your doctor before using if you are at all unsure in any way.

And if its concerning toothache you should also check with your dentist as you already mentioned.

:)

P.S. I'm sorry if you already know that. I'm posting this for others who dont. :)

Last edited:

Vote:
Yes, you are right.
If you had taken one or another medicine and it doesn't help, you can take another one. For example, you took Paracetamol 500mg, but the pain didn't go away, you can take Ibuprofen 400 mg. But the next dose is to be taken no less than in 4-6 hours.

everway9, great that you left such a full answer concerning these painkillers

Vote:

Ask a Question