Any Imaging That Can Confirm Crack In Molar?

Having problem with molar #19 for several months (see previous posts.) X-rays, tests, exams all normal. Based on symptoms my gut feeling is there is an internal crack . A root canal and cap would fix it but I first want proof that there is a crack ( I shutter at the thought of a difficult and expensive procedure that doesn't fix my problem!) I've been told that an x-ray cannot detect a crack. Really? I thought that's exactly what x-rays were for! Can another imaging method detect it? (ultrasound, MRI, sound waves, thermal scan???) Has anyone ever confirmed a crack before proceeding with a root canal? What were your symptoms and how did you confirm? Thanks for any replies.

Hi Romonator,

Cracked teeth can be very difficult to treat because each case is different.

It is true that x-rays often do not show cracks unless they are very large and catastrophic. That is because cracks can be very small or be in a different direction than the direction that the x-rays are travelling.

Depending on the symptoms and the extent of a crack, a root canal may be necessary to treat a crack. A crown is often recommended to prevent a crack from extending any further.

Unfortunately no imaging method is very reliable at detecting cracks, and clinical examination is the best way to detect them.

Vote:
Listen- you can pay for an expensive,$380-500, localized CT scan for that tooth/ area to give the dentist a 3-D image of the area. This is a wonderful tooth to show/ highlight the area from different angles/ sections.

I do not see the prior posts, so can you share with me the symptoms you're having from that area?
Do you clinch or grind at night/ during the day? do you chew on ice often? have you been diagnosed for TMJ disorder?

The sad new, if you do have cracks in the tooth, the symptoms will typically gets worse and the prognosis of the teeth decreases as the size and the length of the crack increases. Best of Luck.

Vote:

Ask a Question