Any Idea?

My original dentist said I would need crowns eventually because I had large fillings in 2 back teeth and they can't be refilled. So, I had a 2 back molars prepped for crowns last year by #1 dentist. Afterward, I experienced pain as if I was hit in the face with a bat. I was sent to an Endodontist.
#1 Endo said it was stress and to get a night guard from the drug store and take Motrin & Tylenol together. #2 Endo said I needed a root canal in one of the prepped molars. When doing the root canal there was difficulty numbing the tooth and the smell was awful when the temporary crown was removed. RCT completed. No antibiotics were given. I became very sick and my facial pain didn't let up. I consulted another dentist who sent me to #3 Endo since #2 Endo closed on Friday. # 3 gave me steroids, antibiotics and in a week or so I did not feel as sick, I could drive again, return to work, but the pain was not gone. I was dx. with Trigeminal Neuralgia mainly because no problem could be found with the prepped tooth. Months later I finally found someone to put me to sleep put on my permanent crown. Because it could not be put on under noviciane. I came out of sedation when he was drying the tooth to install the crown. I had sensitivity and was sent back to #2 Endo. I was put on Augmentin for 10 days then after no relief the upper molar ground down an upper tooth to prevent contact. After still having no resolve and having tooth pain and face pain, I was told to see an oral surgeon without a referral. Oral Surgeon #1 didn't want to touch it, Oral Surgeon # 2 gave me Kenalog injections with no resolve. #2 Oral Surgeon wanted another opinion. I called all my previous Endo's I had seen to get all of my records together and #3 Endo said, come in and let us have a look. #3 Endo believed I had a fractured tooth. He sent me to an Oral Surgeon who removed the tooth the next day and found it was split in two under the crown. It took me 9 months to have the tooth issue resolved, 7 dentists, 3 Endodontists, and 3 oral surgeons. I'm sure my bite is nothing like it used to be. Now, the tooth doesn't hurt anymore, but I'm plagued by facial pain. What caused this problem? It has now been 1 year and 3 days I've had facial pain, what could have happened?

I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. Based on the details given above, I could see why your dentist decided to do a crown. If there is any infection, the technology is so improved these days that the dentist could see it in a good digital x ray. If you had pain and in your case explained above, it could be because of infection or because your tooth was broken while prepping for crown. Again both could be easily found out on a good bite wing x ray. I would advice you to go to a general dentist who does root canal and surgical extraction in future. At least there would be one person who is accountable for in that case.

Dr. Stephen
Designers Smiles Dentistry (www.DesignerSmilesDentistryTX.com)

Vote:

Ask a Question