After allergic reaction dentist refused to tell me what anesthesia he used

Three years ago I had a wisdom tooth removed and had such a severe allergic reaction that my entire body was covered in circular red marks, my face was so swollen it looked like I'd been hit by Mike Tyson, and I had a full body itch so bad I couldn't sleep for a week. I was hospitalized three times that week, and the last time I thought I was going to die. They eventually put me on hardcore "steroid" type drugs to get the allergic reaction under control, and it took weeks to taper off the drugs. I dont have words for how miserable the whole experience was, and it took a LONG time for my body to recover fully.

During treatment my doctors contacted the dentist and asked him which anesthetic he used, but they didn't get an answer. When I was finally well enough to call the dentist myself a few weeks later, the only response that I got was a voicemail from him saying the reaction could not have been triggered by the anesthetic but was probably completely unrelated to the dental work, or it was a reaction to the preservative in the anesthetic.

I never got a straight answer, and I haven't been to a dentist since because frankly I'm terrified. Now I've been dealing with a hollow, broken tooth that constantly throbs, and I'm worried there's an exposed nerve because the pain is absolutely brutal. I called to confirm a walk-in emergency dental office is open today, but I can't go through with it because, as horrendous as this tooth pain is, that allergic reaction was worse than anything I've ever experienced.

I'm livid that I never got a straight answer from my previous dentist regarding the anesthetic he used. Is there some law that requires him to tell me exactly what he used, or any recourse at all? I'm in serious pain but I can't go through with dental work knowing what could happen to me if I do. Any advice would be appreciated.

It would really be helpful to you if he tells u what brand he used so you avoid it next time. You can't keep carrying a painful tooth about. Awww so sorry. I really feel for you

Vote:
Feel really sorry of the things you are going through. Why not take a legal action against the dentist? This is really serious. Knock at his door and ask for answers.

Vote:
You definitely need a legal consultation to get things clear. This issue must be specified in law. You should have been informed about medicine you'd been treated with.

Vote:

Ask a Question