Afraid to go back after all these years.

When I was younger, about 11/12, I went to the dentist for the first time in years and got a couple of fillings and other work done. Should've gotten braces, unsurprisingly at that age I was reluctant.

I went about my life normally for most of the next ten years, eating and drinking what I want without a visit to the dentist. I still feel like any childhood dentist should keep in contact with you, which she didn't, and parents should encourage you to go, which they didn't, but at the end of the day I was a teenager and going to dentist should probably be a responsibility you should take on yourself.

Drinking stuff like vodka as a teenager, I always woke up the following day with pains in the corner of my mouth but I generally ignored it thinking it would blow over in a day or two.

A few months before I turned 21, my Mam and Dad started saying to me that my bottom teeth were a bit crooked and stained and said I should go to the dentist, so I went to my Dad's dentist. He said a lot of the enamel had gone off my teeth among other problems and booked me in for an appointment with the orthodontist across the road.

I went there and he said pretty much the same thing, and here's where I think things got lost in translation between us. What I think he said was, and what he actually might of said, we'll check back in a year. I think that either meant we'll see what the progress is like in a year and work towards fixing them, or call back in a year and we'll see. Because over three years later, the man still hasn't called me back.

Since then, especially over the last two years (since the year passed), I've become so self-conscious and anti-social over the whole situation. Love-life, non-existent over the last two years.

I'm afraid to go back now, because I'm not sure what the options are. The questions I have about it are, 1. How long will it take, 2. How much will it cost?, 3. What are they actually going to do?, 4. What will I look like during it? 5. What will I look like after it? At 24, I'm surely too young for a full set of false teeth and I certainly don't want to be walking around with a full set of pristine, fake-looking, false teeth that don't fit in my mouth.

Anyone have any experience with stuff like this, or is anyone a dental expert.

drmins

Verified Dentist
First concern is about the amount of demineralisation or decay that has occured on your teeth. Having treated that, you can get an orthodontic correction of your irregularly arranged teeth.

In both the phases, you can have pretty good options offered by the dentists.
Phase 1: if the situation demands a crown or veneer, you can have "near to natural" looking crowns and veneers that cannot be distinguised by others.
Phase 2: Even in orthodontic treatments, there are ceramic or transparent brackets which help you to avoid others from noticing them much. If you want to go still advanced, you can have removable aligners to treat your crooked tooth.

So worry not. Fix your appointment with your dentist soon. Keep smiling.

Vote:

Ask a Question