Advice Needed Regarding Wisdom Tooth

My wisdom tooth at the upper left has started coming through and is causing me some discomfort meaning I am struggling to eat and grind my jaw etc. It seems as if the tooth is growing the wrong way as it's not the actual tooth/gum that hurts it's the bit behind that (the hard gum bit, hope this makes sense). I also broke my jaw around that area and i'm worried as my jaw is starting to click when I open/close my mouth.
The main problem however is that I am in Thailand backpacking right now so have no idea what to do. I think i'm just going to leave it and take painkillers and monitor it closely. Any advice? Just don't want it to get infected or anything.

IMO It's natural. I felt pain behind as well for half a year when mine came in and it wasn't crooked. I suggest not removing it if it is strait. Look at the xray for yourself to verify it is straight and don't let them talk you into it if so. Means $ for your doctor if removed, and for you it means a spare tooth down the road when you loose one on that side front of it (the teeth naturally scoot forward to fill the gap). Make the right choice!

Don't know about your clicking. It can go away on it's own. Avoid the clicking and don't chew gum.

Oh... Now that I think about it clicking is often (always?) caused by a hard fragment in the fluid socket. May be a fragment from when your jaw broke. The surgery to remove the fragment is sticking a needle in there and flushing it out with fluid, sometimes the fragment fails to be removed. So... as long as your jaw doesn't lock due to it your in great shape.
Disclaimer: always be skeptical. Doctor or not. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Vote:
IMO It's natural. I felt pain behind as well for half a year when mine came in and it wasn't crooked. I suggest not removing it if it is strait. Look at the xray for yourself to verify it is straight and don't let them talk you into it if so. Means $ for your doctor if removed, and for you it means a spare tooth down the road when you loose one on that side front of it (the teeth naturally scoot forward to fill the gap). Make the right choice!

Don't know about your clicking. It can go away on it's own. Avoid the clicking and don't chew gum.

Oh... Now that I think about it clicking is often (always?) caused by a hard fragment in the fluid socket. May be a fragment from when your jaw broke. The surgery to remove the fragment is sticking a needle in there and flushing it out with fluid, sometimes the fragment fails to be removed. So... as long as your jaw doesn't lock due to it your in great shape.
Disclaimer: always be skeptical. Doctor or not. I could be wrong.

Thanks for your help. Just a little update though. Today the pain is pretty bad, eating is very difficult, and I also have selling inside the mouth and even a little sweeling by my jaw/cheek. Is this normal?

Vote:
Swelling would be normal. You didn't say were pain is. Ya my wisdom tooth coming in hurt way more than the other permanent ones. Keep looking at it to see when it completely emerges.
Now that I think about it, I did rinse with salt water like someone told me for wisdom teeth and that usually helped. Not always though.

Vote:

Ask a Question